What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Excellent Minnesota FBO

aarvig

Well Known Member
I just wanted to put a plug out there for Key Air at KANE. If you are flying through St. Paul/Minneapolis and need a place to fuel or hanger for the night Key Air provides some of the most personal and excellent service I have ever experienced.
Today we had a boy scouts event at their picnic. They allowed us to tour their facilities, walk in and out of the jets, sit in their piston GA aircraft and last but certainly not least, they allowed each and every scout to fly their Cirrus Full Motion Flight Simulator. Additionally, they fed us all lunch. It was quite an experience and left me very impressed with how they treat aviators at all levels, from dreamers to professional pilots. They also have one of the largest, cleanest hangers I have ever seen. Check out their website:
http://www.keyair.com/fbo-facilities/twin-cities.htm

I'll second what Aaron has said, and will add that their trucks will deliver fuel for a dime cheaper than the self serve price on the field, which is already quite competitive.

Airport Name Change?

They never say Anoka County-Blaine anywhere on their website but refer to Twin Cities. Have they changed the name of Anoka County Airport to Twin Cities Airport?
I used to attend Explore's there at Anoka Co. every month for several years back in the late 70s. We raised money at an FBO there washing planes to rent 3 planes to fly to CO to attend a convention at the Air Force Acadamy. That is what made me become an aeronautical engineer.

Last edited:
Twin Cities/Anoka County-Blaine

The website does list ANE. ANE is Anoka Country-Blaine or Janes Field. They are all one and the same. Stop in at Key air the next time you are flying through. They are on the northwest side of the field.

Wondering...
Two winters ago I went to that FBO and almost got gas, but when the truck pulled up they told me there was some kind of hook up or service fee, on top of the gas purchase. I think it was something like $40. Are they still doing that?

That surcharge has been dropped. Mike Lawrence is the manager there and VERY "pro-little-airplane". This is a very nice corporate type FBO but they realize the value of good customer service for the light airplane crowd. If you have any questions, give Mike a call.

This is good news - I have been flying "home" to Anoka County for many years, and unfortunately, despite the size of the field, it has been a "one FBO" operation for a couple of decades. While the folks at Cirrus are always friendly, I have seen lots of ramp neglect by the line guys if you're not corporate - a shame for a place with a small airplane feel - and paying $10 a night to tie down in the open at a public airport is, to me, quite extreme.

Next time we're up there, I'm going to have to give the new place a try - it looks pretty high-fallootin', but if they are as friendly to GA as I'm reading here, it might provide some nice competition.

Paul

Among Giants?..

After more than three decades of flying in and out of Anoka County, we decided to use KeyAir for this trip based on what we had read here ? and were not disappointed. I am generally happy to tie the Val down in the grass of a small airport for a few days, but get annoyed when I have to pay $10 (per day) to a private contractor for the privilege ? at a public field. For an extra $15 per day, and a discount on fuel (cheaper than the self-serve), I was happy to put the Val inside this time. And by ?inside?, I mean:

IMG_0233.JPG

A local RV Builder/Flyer works at KeyAir, and I felt a little sorry for him as he had to shuffle three jets out of our way to free us up for departure this morning. I don?tusually frequent ?jet centers?, but these folks seem to understand that us little folks deserve good and friendly service as well. And they have the most unique bathroom sinks you?ll ever see. Trust me on this ? it is worth a stop JUST to go visit the Loo?..:)

Paul

Last edited:
Prices Have Changed in 3 Years

Apparently, things have changed in 3 years. I really wanted to go see the loo, but I just can't stomach the price of entry. KeyAir does not have any tie-downs available, a night on the ramp is $15, and a night in the hangar is $55 even for a single-engine piston. Even played the card "We know several folks that love you and take advantage of the truck delivery at SS prices. They suggested we call." Didn't get me anywhere.

So, we'll be spending the night at Cirrus. $10 tie-down in the grass, not as if that's a problem since we'll be in the grass the next 4 nights at Oshkosh. Other details some might find interesting: they have their own VW Jetta they rent out for $20 a day, and a hangar is $35 per night.

You're right Tanya - thanks really changed! A year later, we stopped in after Oshkosh with a fairly famous RV-6 (not Mikey..."Flash"), and expected the same laid-back treatment. The bill when we left after four days was over $200 and "that was the price".

We've been back to Cirrus ever since - although last time I was up to the Cities, the family has changed locations, and Anoka isn't as important - I stopped at Stein's place down south, and was treated well. Sort of a ong way out of the Cities, but if your destination is to the south, it works.

KMIC is another option and I talked to one of the FBOs there earlier this week. It is North Of Sixty Flying and they don't seem to be on Airnav or FltPlan, but here is a link: http://northofsixtyflying.com/

They said tie down spaces were free (all three of them) and hangar space was $20, although there is pretty limited quantities of both. Gas is $5.70.

KSGS seems to have the best gas prices in the Twin Cities.

I hope to fly in to KMIC next Friday.

Back