What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ryan's Excellent Interior Painting Advantage

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Just wanted share some photos of my interior painting which I finally finished today. (had to take a week off work to do so:D) I have to say I am very pleased with the results. First I have no experience in shooting primer or paint with these HVLP guns. Prior to this week all my priming was done with rattle can DupliColor. Second, had it not been for the detailed advice and instruction that I received from a fellow VAF member I know I would not have had the results I got. (by the way THANKS, you know who you are since I have been bugging you with all my questions for months now)

I am using a Finex Mini 1000 HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip. Why? Because this was the only HVLP gun I could find that my compressor would handle CFM wise. The gun worked out great.

I used Sherwin Williams epoxy primer..why? well save that for another thread.
I used Sherwin Wiliams AcryGlo paint Charcoal Grey Metallic.

P1010644.JPG

P1010659.JPG

P1010662.JPG

P1010640.JPG

P1010651.JPG

P1010669.JPG

P1010670.JPG

P1010672.JPG

P1010671.JPG

Lookin Good.

That is nice:)

I really like the color in the close up, that will be on my short list of color choices for items to be painted in my interior.

Keep up the good work.

had it not been for the detailed advice and instruction that I received from a fellow VAF member I know I would not have had the results I got.

I am using a Finex Mini 1000 HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip. Why? Because this was the only HVLP gun I could find that my compressor would handle CFM wise. The gun worked out great.

I used Sherwin Williams epoxy primer..why? well save that for another thread.
I used Sherwin Wiliams AcryGlo paint Charcoal Grey Metallic.
Ryan - that looks awesome.... thanks so much for posting especially the reference for the gun. Would you say there was more or less overspray using the gun than using rattle can interior paint?

I have the same billion questions you had - can you post a summary of the detailed advice you got?

Would the paint you used stick to the NAPA 7220 self-etching primer?

interior paint

...awesome showplane interior.!!!!
I like the idea of custom paint inside, rather than upholstery for a lot of reasons,, weight, cost, flammability etc.
One thing I'd consider if doing mine over, I have a light beige, and it really reflects on the inside of the canopy when in certain sunlight conditions.
You bank and look into a turn, and all you see is a reflection of the cabin & baggage!!!
I think darker colours, like your charcoal, or even flat black is optimal.
Someone mentioned this on a photo thread also.

food for thought.

Where did you find to get the SW paints?

When you painted, did you rotate the fuselage or paint it as it sat?
Any top/clear coat?

Back