What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Customer Service

cjbouldin

:mad:
I thought I'd pass along a review of how not to run a company.

Back in January my mechanic and I decided to pull all 4 cylinders due to high oil consupmtion and send them to ECI to rehone the barrels. These cylinders fell into the Group A of the recent AD for barrel separation which only require 50 hour inspections of the head/barrel joint. When ECI received the cylinders they stated that since they had them in hand they would treat these cylinders as group B which require reworking or replacing the cylinders. We agreed. No problem there.

According to ECI the turn-around time is 3 weeks. It's even stated in the recent article on the ECI AD in Kit Planes by Eric Golden, president of ECI. No problem there either.

The problem lies with ECI customer support and service. It's been 3 months with virtually no response after repeated calls to find out what the delay is all about. Now, I can understand problems with manufacturing, product backlogs etc... as long as it's relayed to the customer in prompt and expeditious manner. But absolutely poor communication to the customer. I even went so far as to stop by the ECI tent at Sun n Fun and speak with Eric Golden and get an explanation. Apparently it's a problem with the nickel plating process of the threads which join the head and barrel. At least let me know instead of being in limbo.

It will not be 3 weeks as stated. It will be greater that 3 months. That should be stated.

In summary: Good product, noble attempt to resolve a product deficiency, very poor customer communication, mistrusting of delivery dates. Would I recommend ECI? Probably not if you've got any customer service issues.

I kind of hope someone at ECI reads this. It may help the consumers here.

I wish ECI well......

After 43 years in Aviation these Airworthiness Directives affect plenty of well meaning companies. ECI had these ADs and I can imagine how difficult ($) it is for them to scramble and please everyone.

The fact that they stepped up and decided to place you in Group B tells me that they have INTEGRITY. A lesser company would have honed your cylinders and sent them back. I can imagine the meetings upper management has had over this AD issue.? I can also imagine your frustration over this issue; but how can ECI predict turn-around-time ? when this entire situation is overwhelming ..?....In a RECESSION..?..

It is obvious that ECI is doing their best dealing with 1000s of anxious customers. They are absolutely trying their hardest to resolve this situation and if being late with their estimated fix time is the only problem they have we should be thankful and patient.

Plenty of RVs are flying safely on ECI components and parts. Lets wish them well and give them some slack.

I have bought ECI parts in the past and I will buy ECI parts in the future.

The fact is they could have filed for BK; left everybody in the lurch (Abandoned in a difficult position without help) and opened for new business
the next day.

They didn't.

Let's stand by this company.

Bob

RE:Your oil consumption???

Hi Chris

I am running the ECi Titan IOX 360 that was delivered August of 2007 and put in service July 2009. I am outside the AD numbers. I would be curious as to what your oil consumption was, also what you and your mechanic considered the cause to be, and the amount of time you had on the engine.

Thanks for your info and I just hope that yours and others will get ECi to upgrade their customer service. They have been great to work with for me but I haven't had a problem to deal with either.....

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

:mad:
I thought I'd pass along a review of how not to run a company.

Back in January my mechanic and I decided to pull all 4 cylinders due to high oil consupmtion and send them to ECI to rehone the barrels. These cylinders fell into the Group A of the recent AD for barrel separation which only require 50 hour inspections of the head/barrel joint. When ECI received the cylinders they stated that since they had them in hand they would treat these cylinders as group B which require reworking or replacing the cylinders. We agreed. No problem there.

According to ECI the turn-around time is 3 weeks. It's even stated in the recent article on the ECI AD in Kit Planes by Eric Golden, president of ECI. No problem there either.

The problem lies with ECI customer support and service. It's been 3 months with virtually no response after repeated calls to find out what the delay is all about. Now, I can understand problems with manufacturing, product backlogs etc... as long as it's relayed to the customer in prompt and expeditious manner. But absolutely poor communication to the customer. I even went so far as to stop by the ECI tent at Sun n Fun and speak with Eric Golden and get an explanation. Apparently it's a problem with the nickel plating process of the threads which join the head and barrel. At least let me know instead of being in limbo.

It will not be 3 weeks as stated. It will be greater that 3 months. That should be stated.

In summary: Good product, noble attempt to resolve a product deficiency, very poor customer communication, mistrusting of delivery dates. Would I recommend ECI? Probably not if you've got any customer service issues.

I kind of hope someone at ECI reads this. It may help the consumers here.

I also wish them well. My dad spoke w/ them at Sun-N-Fun. After he told me all about there conversation one thing was evident. They will be getting my engine and reconditioning my jugs. But I am sure that they will have all the smoke cleared by the time I am ready for that.
They are putting more time into this than we can imagine.

After 43 years in Aviation these Airworthiness Directives affect plenty of well meaning companies. ECI had these ADs and I can imagine how difficult ($) it is for them to scramble and please everyone.

The fact that they stepped up and decided to place you in Group B tells me that they have INTEGRITY. A lesser company would have honed your cylinders and sent them back. I can imagine the meetings upper management has had over this AD issue.? I can also imagine your frustration over this issue; but how can ECI predict turn-around-time ? when this entire situation is overwhelming ..?....In a RECESSION..?..

It is obvious that ECI is doing their best dealing with 1000s of anxious customers. They are absolutely trying their hardest to resolve this situation and if being late with their estimated fix time is the only problem they have we should be thankful and patient.

Plenty of RVs are flying safely on ECI components and parts. Lets wish them well and give them some slack.

I have bought ECI parts in the past and I will buy ECI parts in the future.

The fact is they could have filed for BK; left everybody in the lurch (Abandoned in a difficult position without help) and opened for new business
the next day.

They didn't.

Let's stand by this company.

Bob

Bob,

I certainly agree with most of what you've said and don't have a problem with any of their products or the integrity of the company. As I stated, I applaud their resolve to stand up and deal with the AD. I'm certainly grateful that they've elected to handle my specific case by replacing the barrels-they didn't have to do that.

But, when you've repeatedly tried to get some answers as to why they weren't ready on ship date they promised then I begin to question the resolve of the company. And when you do get thru and the only response is "we'll get to them when we get to them", well that just isn't going to cut the mustard. My ONLY complaint is with their lack of communication.

Hi Chris

I am running the ECi Titan IOX 360 that was delivered August of 2007 and put in service July 2009. I am outside the AD numbers. I would be curious as to what your oil consumption was, also what you and your mechanic considered the cause to be, and the amount of time you had on the engine.

Thanks for your info and I just hope that yours and others will get ECi to upgrade their customer service. They have been great to work with for me but I haven't had a problem to deal with either.....

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

Frank,

My oil consumption was about a quart every 2 hours. For low compression engines that would be acceptable but I have 9.5:1 cylinders. I was a bit concerned about narrowing margins with detonation.

I acquired the 8 with about 80 hrs on the engine. My mechanic and ECI confirmed that the cylinders didn't get broken in correctly and they were glazed. ECI offered to deal with them as Group B under the AD. I agreed and give them high marks for that.

Is ECI getting better with their scheduling?

I have 4 cylinders to send in. I'm waiting till the dust settles and they get a better turnaround time. Anyone getting good results?

Back