What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Training in Charleston SC Area

REHughes

My stepdaughter is ready to start flight training in the Charleston SC Area, and I would really appreciate any recommendations (or cautions) that the Group could provide concerning any flight schools in the area.

Thanks very much,

Hi Robert,
If she qualifies to join, the Charleston Air Force Base Aero Club is excellent. Years ago when I lived in Charleston, there was flight training at the Charleston Executive airport on Johns Island also.

Regards.

I just had a buddy complete his training at the AF Aero Club. They are cheap, but you don't get much practical decision-making experience during the training. Example- in order to land solo at an airport, you have to have first gone to it with an instructor on board. He flew the same cross country flights (once in reverse order) because he only had a few airports that he was able to visit with an instructor. Very safe program for a student, but in my opinion, it sets you up for too big of a shock when you get your ticket. His longest leg so far was 35 minutes...unreal.
I would suggest a small school such as Palmetto Air Service at LRO (Mt Pleasant) They have some older instructors (I have flown with two of them in the past and they were exceptional...) who bring a bunch of real-world experience to the training process. The owner (Edna) is conservative when it comes to safety, but will also encourage real-world training.

Back