What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camlock Pillowing

boom3

Well Known Member
My cowl is coming together and I'm ready to install milspec camlocks just on the rear of the top cowl. I went with the recommended 3 1/2" spacing.

My question is the thickness of the cowl. The cowl is about .060 thick where the camlocks go and there's some talk about beafing up the fiberglass adjacent to the edge of the scallop line to help prevent pillowing. The 1/4" (or whatever it is) thick portion of the cowl is about an inch away from my .050 scalloped strip. Do I need to add reinforcement or add to the thickness of the cowl? Right now the top cowl fits very nicely without any shims between the firewall tab and the scalloped attach strip.

Dsc_0909.jpg

Dsc_0908.jpg

This is an older picture, the lower cowl has already been fitted and drilled with hinges.
Dsc_0850.jpg

Nope...

Jeff, we had basically the exact same setup as you show, on our -6A and after 5 years and over 500 hours, no problems and no reinforcing either with the older, green cowls.

Best

Back