What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Unison Lasar Magnetos

Jim Wright

Well Known Member
I have come up with a problem on Slick Unison Lasar Magnetos. Does anyone on the Forum have experience with this system?
Would appreciate some help
Jim

J

Hi Alex,
Didn't have enough time in this life to build my own so bought this RV-8A. It has an Eagle Engine (Superior) IO-360 B1AA3 with the Lasar ingition system (Mod 4771 & 4775 Slick- Unison Lasar Magnetos). The original engine suffered a prop strike and the builder ordered a new engine from Eagle and had the mags overhauled through Eagle and installed them on the new engine. Afterward I had bought the aircraft and everything went well until about 100 hours on the new engine then the left mag began to fail. I thought it might be fouled plugs and burned them out. Mag check @ 1700 was rough but passable. Went on to next stop. Checked mags at 1000 rpm and left mag was dead. Ran up to 1700 again and got an amber light on the left mag with very rough engine, tried to burn out the plugs again without success. Home base about 20 minutes away and departed Sedona for Prescott. On take off the engine ran perfectly. After arriving in PRC I did a mag check again and left mag was inop either with the Laser ignition on or off. Uncowled and pulled plugs on # 2 & # top and bottom. Plugs were a nice brown tan...normal.
Have tried to research the Unison Laser system and find that it has been bought and sold. Kind of confusing. Was advised that Progressive Air in Kamallops BC was the best bet for repair/overhaul. UPS and Fed Ex wants 150bucks each way for freight. Finally contacted Eagle Engines and they will receive the mags and send them out of house in Redding CA for quote on repair/overhaul.
I have discovered that there is a Service Bulletin (SB3-08A) outstanding on the mags and I am quite certain that this might be the culprit.
Please advise your thoughts and any information that you may have on the Unison Lasar system.
Many thanks,
Jim Wright

[email protected][/email]
(928)277-0942
(928)499-0361 Cell

I tried but...

I typed up a detailed reply but I am working with my laptop in a dark hospital room and the wireless internet connection keeps failling - lost it all. The light is supposed to come on during a mag check and return to off after some time delay. It doesn't always go off. In flight that light is supposed to indicate that the electronic system has failed and you are operation in standard mag mode. You need to buy a timing box for this system and follow the timing instructions VERY CAREFULLY to get it set right. MINE CAME FROM LYCOMING off by 65 degrees. It is possible that your non-controller mag is failing. Mine failed after ~400 hrs. I race the airplane and the system performs very well.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back