What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil grades vs seasons

Build9A

Well Known Member
I live in Florida and have a 9A 0-320 lyc. I won a case of Exxon Elite on Dougs VAF site awhile ago and used it after the first 50 hours on mineral oil (new engine). Using the multigrade elite coincided with the colder months here in the sunshine state, 30 to 40 degrees in the morning, 65-75 by afternoon. The multigrade allows the engine to start immediately on colder mornings and doesn't wear out my starter on the early morning flights. My question is; as the outside temps warm up over the spring and summer 80s-90s, should I change grades and brands ie. single grade shell or should I continue to use the multigrade? Any comments appreciated. thanks.

If it is a 20W50 or 15W50 it should be fine for your climate. I use Aeroshell 15W50 year around in Wisconsin. Smart choice in breaking your engine in on mineral oil. That's what I did and my oil consumption is about 20 hrs to the qt.

Roberta

EXXON Elite should be satisfactory for use, over the entire range of temps experienced in Florida year round. Save the old bottles with Bruce's Flying Tiger airplane on them as they will become collector?s items soon!
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Back