What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A N507RV Byron Graves

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
RV-7A N507RV Bryon Graves

[ed. This post is a copy of one by luv2flypilot in the 'Show us your finished RV-7/7A' thread. Such a nice entry I copied it and created its own thread in the 'Virtual Hangar'. dr]

Bryon Graves
Discovery Bay, CA
RV-7A N507RV "Sweet Escape"

"I picked up my RV-7A from T&P in Salinas today. They did an awesome job on my plane. Their attention to detail is just incredible! I am so stoked right now! :D The top three pics are before the vinyl decals were added with my airplane's name "Sweet Escape" and the RV-7A decals.
I would also like to thank Tom from Tech Art for using my paint scheme on the RV-7A cutaway that he just completed. I can't wait to get my custom copies which he is detailing a little bit more (such as my painted propeller) to be exactly like my airplane."

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Interior Pics:
Panel.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!

Bryon
Congrats. You must be extremely proud, and rightfully so. When I get mine completed, I hope it comes out as nice as yours. :)

WOOOWWW!!!!!

What a REALLY nice looking airplane!
Looking at the visible details, it's easy to see that this is a plane which really has been built paying great attention to the details!

Great job! Congratulations!!!!

No observed Baffle Brace

In the instructions for my baffle kit I was advised to add a brace between the engine crankcase and the left side of the baffling where the oil cooler is installed to reduce the potential for cracking. I noticed none in the photographs. Perhaps the center brace solves the problem in this design.

The forward edge of the sliding portion of the canopy can be finished with aluminum tape from Aircraft Spruce.

The external canopy handle may strike the windshield closure fairing when the canopy is accidently closed with the handle pointing forward - it did on my RV-6A. A little trimming of the lower surface of the handle so that it tapers upward eliminated that risk.

The ELT antenna is almost completely shielded. I hate the things too but I mounted mine on the flap actuator cover just behind the seat so that at least part of it is exposed for transmit radiation through the canopy in all directions.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Beautiful!!!

Bryon,
That is one beautiful airplane! Who's interior is that? Who did the design and the paint? Your instrument panel looks unique also, how did you do that? Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting closer to having to make all these decisions and I love the way your airplane looks. Working on the canopy frame (grrrr!!!!) right now. Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks Bruce

Bryon,
That is one beautiful airplane! Who's interior is that? Who did the design and the paint? Your instrument panel looks unique also, how did you do that? Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting closer to having to make all these decisions and I love the way your airplane looks. Working on the canopy frame (grrrr!!!!) right now. Thanks for any and all help.

The interior is by Classic Aero Designs. I went with the Sportsman seats and side panel package and added embroidery to the seats, upper baggage panel, tonneau cover, and front and rear carpet. I decided to go this route to allow for as much room inside the cockpit. I almost went with the Aviator package, but sat in another RV that had it and found that the side panels decreased the overall width by about 2-3 inches and the seats had a bit more foam which caused my head to be very close to the canopy since I am 6'2". I really like the interior and it is very comfortable.

The paint was done by T&P Aero Refinishers out of Sainas, CA. They did an awesome job and their attention to detail is amazing. The instrument panel is unique. It is a fiberglass design that was fabricated by Accuracy Avionics that use to be out of Bend Oregon. Unfortunately they are not in business anymore, however Eric McDonald (who worked at Accuracy) moved on to Redmond Air in Redmond Oregon and may be able to still accommodate a custom panel design such as this. Good luck with your airplane. It is all worth it in the end. I am having so much fun flying now that it is completed. These planes are just amazing!

Thanks

Thanks Bryon, I appreciate the info. Sometime when I'm in the area (I get to San Francisco and Sacramento occasionally) I'd love to see your plane up close and personal.

No Problemo

Thanks Bryon, I appreciate the info. Sometime when I'm in the area (I get to San Francisco and Sacramento occasionally) I'd love to see your plane up close and personal.

Sounds like a plan Bruce. Just let me know when you are going to be in the area. My airplane is hangared a Byron airport (C83). Don't confuse that with my name "Bryon" :D

Flap actuator and cover,..

Bruce, maybe I'm missing something but did you do something with the flap actuator to get it out of the area between the seats or is it just the angles?

Absolutely beautiful airplane. If pictures can tell, the workmanship is outstanding.

Thanks Bill S
7a almost there (july - aug ??)

Back