What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocate to Boston area

intothinair

Well Known Member
I will be relocating from CA to the Boston, MA area in July 2010 for a new job and am planning to bring my RV9 project along for the move.

Can anyone suggest a suitable airport in the area that may have room for a RV project? How much do hangers in the area rent for?

Thank you.

John

which town?

John, are you going to be right in Boston or a suburb? I live in Marshfield which is about 20 miles south of Boston and our airport is KGHG. I have a hangar for $275/mo but that is below market, when my lease is up in early 2011 I'll be paying $325 or so. Out around the Route 495 belt you can probably get cheaper but probably not by much. I know several guys have built at KGHG including RV's...no painting though. You'll probably be on a waiting list as well. Hope that helps.

I'm based at Norwood and also part time at Lawrence. Norwood has practically no hangar space and when available, they seem to go for over $600/month. Lawrence has a very active EAA 106 club and many more hangars. Not as expensive as Norwood, but you can probably get something for 350 to 450 per month. There are a few RVs there, I think. I would put up with a drive and base your project at Lawrence.

Marshfield would probably be a good option. Fitchburg would also be a good option and I think there are several hangar owners who would rent for more reasonable prices just to get a tenant.

The further away you'll be from inside the RT 128 circle (i.e., away from the major populated areas) the easier it will be to get a test area from the Boston FSDO.

KASH

If you're going to be on the northwest side of Boston, close to New Hampshire, you might also consider Nashua (KASH). Nice airport, and last time I checked there was hangar space for rent. Stay away from Hanscom (KBED) if you can avoid it. Hangar space there is expensive and hard to find, and it's becoming more GA-unfriendly by the year.

And to second Radioflyer's comments, the last Phase I test areas I heard of the FAA issuing were out of Plymouth (KPYM) and Orange (KORE). Both are about an hour's drive from the Boston 'burbs. There are quite a few RV builders in/around Plymouth.

HTH,

Dave

Last edited:
Back