What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Cables

Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
Does anyoneone have suggestions on battery cable lengths?

I have my RV-6 set-up like an RV-7 with the battery forward of the firewall and the contact below. (the only benifit of being a slow builder is you have time to add upgrades) I will mount a common ground block above the battery, just above the longeron level.

I plan to buy the braided ground strap and the flexable battery cable from B & C. Any opinion on these items? Are they worth the extra $?

I can maesure the wires from the contactor to the (+) terminal and the one from the (-) to the ground block but I do not know how much slack to allow. Without the engine in place I don't know what length I need from the ground block to the engine block.

The fast, smart-a$$ answer is "shorter is better". :D

Basically it's gonna depend on your exact configuration. Consider using a couple pieces of solid copper wire (Romex or HomeWire type stuff) as a mock-up to figure out the best routing, and get measurements from that.

As far as slack in cables goes - if you're wiring point-to-point between components that don't have any relative motion between them, and it's a short distance (~6"), cut the cable about an inch longer than the point-to-point distance, so the cable will form a gentle arc when it's connected.

If it's a really short distance (~2"), a copper bus bar is better than trying to cut and terminate a cable that short.

Back