What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplanes, Pickup Trucks, and Lipstick....

B25Flyer

Well Known Member
Should Be Red!!!

After sneaking all over America in Grey camo for over 1000 hrs, 700 of them in the last 3.5 years..., Ole '84 is ready about to step out with a new suit.... And there will be no sneaking around any more......

The camo primer that Mark sprayed on years ago was worn thru, and had absorbed oil and grime.. I could not get it clean and it just looked terrible.... So the RV guys at W&C Aircraft in Boone spruced it up with new Epoxy wing root fairings, (the originals were the prototypes and they were Polyester), put in some tail stiffeners, overhauled the wheel pants and gear leg fairings and I took the airplane to Air Spectrum in Quincy IL.

The graphics will be vinyl and mostly white. I will probably get the spinner Higlo (chrome) plated next winter.... and I am planning on retaining the '84 race theme with the graphics.....

Red should make it faster, don't ya think????

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

DougsF1red.jpg

Last edited:
... and hanger floors where airplanes are painted.....

Looking good! I've always been kinda partial to red myself. Be sure and share the finished product with us.

Gonna be sharp! But, red paint is the heaviest!!! It will knock a couple dozen feet per minute from the climb rate...

what are tail stiffeners, and how do they get put in?

the red should look really nice. it is a nice color red.

Skin stiffeners between the ribs.. I think it is std on the later kits. Have to ask the F1boss...

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Chrome is what makes airplanes faster...

...according to Robbie Knox....things like chromed valve covers, etc:)

Best,

wind resistance

That is because chrome has less wind resistance than any other surfce prep...therfore faster;);)

In the UK, if you have painted your plane red, you have to be careful nobody tries to post a letter or make a telephone call in it!!!

Post%26Telephone.jpg

It is so me...

My Pickup truck is Red, Chevy Victory Red which is the color of the airplane.
My tractor is Red, 1951 M Farmall that my granddad bought and then sold to my dad when he started farming.
My wife, well she doesn't wear much Lipstick... And if she did, it would not be that color.....

Two outta three ain't bad....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Your airplane looks like Farmall red to me. It was suggested that I paint my airplane to match my tractor. It does look really good on your airplane. Let me know if you need a source of Farmall stickers for the cowl.:D

web.jpg

RVs and Tractors

I have a very RED 1947 Farmal A. My plane is green and white. How many other folks have RVs and farm tractors. I am not a farmer. Just love red tractors!!! Please no red vs green wars!!!
4gc41.jpg

2duxvyr.jpg

Last edited:
^^ hey I have three tractors on my farm and there all the right color, international red,,;)

Nice paint, gonna look sharp! I like some of these paint jobs with either the top or bottom half white. Truly some sharp lookin paint jobs out there.

I have a very RED 1947 Farmal A. My plane is green and white. How many other folks have RVs and farm tractors. I am not a farmer. Just love red tractors!!! Please no red vs green wars!!!

Well now I know why my 7 is slower than a Rocket. My tractor is green.
Feeding%20in%20the%20sno%2000001.JPG

I've got a '56 International 360 that I would like to restore as a parade tractor. It may be my retriement project. It'll be RED!

don't you just hate it when the strings freeze on those round bales.lol. ooops sorry guys I guess this is an aviation website.;)

Rodney at Air Spectrum does good work. He's a long-time member of our local EAA Chapter 488 here in Quincy. He paints most of the L-39s that Air USA here on the field refurbishes also.
Hope your experience is just as good!!
~Andy EAA Ch 488 Quincy, IL

Back