What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P mag 0-320

Chunky

I am just about to purchase a P Mag for my 6A with 0-320. I have read about all the fuel savings and power gains but would like to know from the informed if its really worth it.

Is the performance and fuel gains really as advertised. It is noticable when you change to one P mag. (Keeping the second mag standard for now).

Shawn

Depends...

Electronic ignition allows you to run far leaner (making the same power) than you can with a magneto ignition. However, if you run around with the mixture really fat, you do not see the gains. As an example, the -8 I fly will not run 50 LOP above 8,000 feet or so with magneto ignition... It simply quits. I expect that the dual Pmags will allow 50 LOP at that same altitude with hardly a stumble.

The bottom line is that the electronic ignition gives you the ability to manage the engine more efficiently - what you do with that capability is up to you.

That said, I noticed about .7 GPH improvement on the Hiperbipe as soon as I installed the first Pmag.

Last edited:
Works for Me

Hi Chunky

I have over 600 hrs on my P-mags/O-320 and am very happy. I run LOP with my carby set up using partial carb heat. I always get 150KTAS on 6gph at 8000+ and run 130KTAS down low on 5gph. I have never had mags, but Bob in Indiana has had both, and did see GPH improvement.

Drop me an email if you have further questions. I have lots of data. Good luck!

Hey Guys Thanks for the reply. I am sold on the idea of the P Mag and will probably do the transaction in the morning.

Did you guys change to Auto Plugs with the adapters?

Anything else I should consider upfront to make it work best?

Shawn

In my opinion, the use of auto plugs is very high on the list of benefits (right below the improved fuel burn).

Back