What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Latest from Van's on Continental Engine

triddle

I'm New Here
Here is an e-mail exchange that I had with Van's today that might be of interest to others:

------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:28 AM
To: Tommy Riddle
Subject: Re: RV-10 Continental Engine Questions

> 1. Do you have any plans to sell OEM Continental Engines for the RV-10 at some point in the future?
> 2. Do you have any plans to create a firewall forward kit for this engine?
> 3. What is the exact model number of the engine (IO360XXX)?

Tommy: there has been almost no interest in the Continental engine, so we have no parts for it, and no plans to create cowls, mounts, or FFW kits for it.

IO-360-ES1B. I think it's the same model used in the SR-20
----------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like they are still sticking to only the IO-540 at this point. I thought that since I was asking for a smaller engine instead of a bigger one I might stand a chance. :) Especially since it is in one of their prototypes and reportedly Van seems to like it.

Oh well, I probably won't be using that engine without a FWF kit.

triddle said:
Oh well, I probably won't be using that engine without a FWF kit.

Hmmm... I definitely won't be using that engine unless I can find a better price. I asked for a price from Air Power and here is what they sent me:

----------------------------------------
Without an exchange, your price on the TCM Factory-New IO-360-ES1B is $44,982.
----------------------------------------

There's no way I am going to pay that for one when you can get the IO-540-D4A5 from Van's for $42,650

I just saw that Mattituck has a new TMXIO-540 Engine that might be perfect for this plane, and the cost is much better at $34,150.

Is anybody using that engine yet? What does everyone think about Mattituck in general?

Tommy,
The TMX IO-540 is a perfect engine for the RV-10. 100% new parts, Major components are made by Lycoming with some modifications to make them better. All parts are 100% FAA certified components except for the Silver Hawk or Air Flow Performance fuel injection system. Essentially, a clone of the IO-540-D4A5 with a better warranty and better service. It will glove fit in the-10 with no modification, to Vans plans or vans supplied parts, that are different than anything necessary with those plans or parts with a Lycoming/Vans supplied IO-540-D4A5.
Happy to supply any information about the engine you may require.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Highflight said:
Do a VAF search and you'll get lot's of comments about Mattituck.

Sorry guys. You're right, there are tons of stuff. Before I signed up I read all of the posts in the RV-10 forum, but did not see anything other than a thread about the IO-390. I also played around with the search page but I could not get any results for anything, even things that I knew where in there like IO-540. It seems to be working for me now though. I wonder if it is because I was searching as a guest at that time.

Last edited:
Back