What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low oil pressure

N24YW

Well Known Member
I noticed for the first time today that my oil pressure seems low. I havent flown the plane for a couple of months (doing some painting)and will be honest I dont scan the guages very often. but when I did tonight I noticed that my oil pressure was around 20 psi. My first thought was I had all my oil blown on the belly. So I landed and check it. Clean and at the correct level. My question is can I turn the pressure relief in to gain more pressure.

Engine back ground high time 2000 hours but good compressions and excellent log history. Vans pressure sender and guage. any ideas would be helpful.

jim

If this is a new development, I'd cut the oil filter and look for metal. I would think some bearing clearances have opened up. If that's the case there should be metal in the oil. I don't think 20 psi is enough to protect the engine.

Bob S

Low oil pressure checks

Jim,
I agree with Bob that you should check for metal, but hopefully you won't find any.

It could be a piece of "trash" caught under the oil pressure relief valve seat.
I'd pull it out and clean it up.

Mark

2000 hr. engine

If you've checked the oil pressure gauge and found it the be in working order, the engine itself is suspect. At 2000 hrs.. good compression mean little, and even if the engine was new. Just consider how differential compression is performed. The suggestion was made to examine the oil filter, and addressing the 2000 hrs. are most likely a good starts in curing the OP problem.
T88

As Tachi88 says, make sure you have verified the gauge but don't forget the sender and the electrical connections. Could be as simple as corrosion on the terminals.

My advice would be to check the gauge for accuracy before doing anything else. Keep running to a minimum while trouble shooting and don't fly it until the problem is resolved.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Back