What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Original Bernie Warnke

litewings

Can anyone tell me what Warnke prop they are using on a 150 hp O320? Any performance numbers would be helpful. My current prop gets 2250 static and 2640 wide open. I would like to gain at least 100 RPM on both ends. I'm open to experienced suggestions on other props. :confused:

I guess I'm missing something in that answer, or I didn't convey my question and intentions clearly. I would like to see a gain in static rpm and full throttle rpm in straight and level flight. If someone is getting 2300-2350 static and 2700-2750 full power straight and level, I would like to here what prop and pitch. Not looking for a magic potion, just some real world numbers. I have a short strip with obstructions and summer's density altitudes are not far away. Just trying to explore all options before going to the expense of a constant speed prop for my 150hp O320. Thanks for the input in advance.

Prop for 15o HP O-320

I had a wood, Bernie Warnke ?almost constant speed? fixed pitch 68/71 on my RV-6A (O-320 150HP) and could get only about 2150 static and takeoff RPM. My rate of climb as only about 500 fpm at gross sea level, but I did have good cruise performance at about 2600 RPM, up to 8000 MSL.

I changed the wood prop out for an AVIA V503-AP Variable Speed Metal Prop (STC'd for the O-320 engine) which does not require a governor or hollow crankshaft. The performance numbers were dramatic. Takeoff roll reduced to about 800 feet at sea leval gross. Rate of climb up to 1300 fpm at sea leval gross. Static and takeoff roll RPM 2500 RPM. Climb RPM all the way to 13000 MSL was 2500 RPM. Cruise RPM was 2550 RPM. I may have lost a couple of knots at cruise but I was very happy with the conversion. I bought the AVIA directly from the factory.

Best Regards

Russ Daves
N65RV (RV-6A Sold)
N710RV Reserved (RV-10 QB Fuselage Stage)

Warnke

I recently replaced an Aymar-DeMuth 68x72 wood prop with a Pacesetter on my 150hp RV4. The Pacesetter gives the cruise speed I was looking for but, at the cost of climb performance. The Aymar-DeMuth was a great climber, though. I can't remember what the static rpm was but, flat out it ran about 2780. Unfortunately, the pitch numbers don't translate well from one manufacturer to another (the Pacesetter is a 68x69) so this info won't help you pick a Warnke prop. If you aren't stuck on a Warnke, the Aymar-DeMuth is in perfect condition and I would part with it VERY reasonably.

Good Luck,

Bill
RV4

Back