What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator Installation

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I found one "interesting" gascolator installation picture that used a bracket that went around the bottom mount tube. It looks very awkward and why re-inventing. Does anyone else have pictures of a gascolator installation on an RV-4, preferably using the blue Vans gascolator?

Here's the page I found (Using an Andair gascolator)
http://www.solanopilots.com/new_page_10.htm

Thanks,

-Bruce

Last edited:
Gascolator RV4

Hi,
Here is how I mounted mine. I am using an O320H2AD,with no mechanical pump, so the plumbing may be slightly different,however the installation would be similar.There are 2 tubes cut at an angle over the bolts to make the gascolator vertical in level flight iserted between the bracket and firewall since the firewall is not vertical.
rv4gascolator2ez.jpg

Gascolator

I have been poking about and found this thread. It raises a couple of questions. In the picture that Bruce referenced can anyone identify the AN fitting numbers used? I like this installation though the bracket is complicated.

http://www.solanopilots.com/new_page_10.htm

In fixnflyguy's posting he has gone to some effort to ensure the gascolator is in the vertical in level flight. Is this important? I cant see it matters though I have been sketching brackets to achieve the same thing.

The advantage of the VANS gascolator is the simplicity of bringing the fuel through the firewall and into the gascolator.(Minimal parts count.) But is there room for this?

More pictures would be very helpful.

Steve

Fuel line firewall penetrations

Please excuse my ignorance, since I'm not installing a lycoming, but I can't quite tell how you brought the fuel line from inside the cockpit to the gascolator. It kind of looks like a rubber grommet, but I'm not sure. If so, won't it melt with the exhaust pipes so close? Again, sorry if this is a standard way to do this. Thanks!

Aircraft standards are definately to use a pass-through fitting. That looks a lot like a grommet to me too, and if so, it's wrong.

-Bruce

Gascolator

I'm planning on placing my gascolaror at the bottom of the firewall. To clear the bottom engine mount tube I fabed a couple of standoffs.

thumb-img_1595.jpg

I wondered how to connect the gascolator to the firewall passthrough fitting. I decided on fitting a s shaped sections of fuel tubing to the gascolator that will then bend back to the passthrough fitting situated above the gascolator.

pictures to follow.

My gascolator is installed using a 90 degree bulkhead fitting coming through the firewall, connected to a short length of aluminum tube, which is connected to a 90 degree fitting that enters the gascolator. No problems in over 375 hours of flying.

That said, I won't put a gascolator in my next airplane. Any water should drain at the fuel tank drains, since they are the low point in the system (particularly for the taildraggers). In addition, I see the gascolator as another potential point of failure in the system and I see it as a heat sink to transfer all of that under-cowl heat into the fuel, creating vapor lock opportunities.

Gascolator mounting

In reference to the questions reguarding my gascolator mount, It is best to have the gascolator vertical in flight mode, as its purpose is to filter fuel/debris. As far as the firewall penetration, the grommet is much farther from the exhaust than the photo looks, and there is a cover that goes over the whole area I have not installed yet.The -4 firewall is small, and gets very busy with stuff, so positioning is more difficult than other types.The line is supported just inside the firewall, so no risks of grommet cuthrough exist.Firewall bulhead fittings are often used because its a good transition to a flex line.In my case, the flex line comes off the gascolator itself..

Bill E.

Kyle Boatright said:
My gascolator is installed using a 90 degree bulkhead fitting coming through the firewall, connected to a short length of aluminum tube, which is connected to a 90 degree fitting that enters the gascolator. No problems in over 375 hours of flying.

That said, I won't put a gascolator in my next airplane. Any water should drain at the fuel tank drains, since they are the low point in the system (particularly for the taildraggers). In addition, I see the gascolator as another potential point of failure in the system and I see it as a heat sink to transfer all of that under-cowl heat into the fuel, creating vapor lock opportunities.

Mine is exactly the same way. One side of the gascolator has tubing, the other hose. The two fittings are also supported by joined adel clamps on the engine mount. The engine has 750 hours with no problems. I have just removed it, because I have yet to get anything out of it. My fuel flow transducer is there now.

I removed my gascolator and replaced it with an Air performance fuel filter on the firewall. I was then able to fair in the mount for a cleaner air exit. I felt the same about the sumps.

Gary

Gascolator Mount

I was challenge buy the mounting of my gascolator. I wanted to place low enough to drain it with having to crawl under my airplane. By placing a hole in the lip of my cowl I can drain the sump. Here is how I did it and I included a print for anyone to produce one from.

10004206qc.jpg

spacer10pd.png

Gascolator located behind firewall? Thoughts.

I posted this the other day but under an inappropriate heading, and got no replies, so I thought I would repost. My idea in my previous post is this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue of the -4 firewall and the gascolator has been preoccupying me the last few days. I would like to float an idea and see the reactions I get. I am seriously considering putting the gascolator in the compartment beside the stick, right by the fuel pump. My logic for this is as follows:

1. I don?t see it as a water collection point since any water will appear at the wing drains. I would not plan on draining the gascolator every flight. Just the occasional inspection for crud.
2. I do see it as a filter and that is where an injected engine filter would be?or thereabouts.
3. If it is not on the firewall the connection to the fuel pump is simple and a smaller amount of fuel is heated if running Avgas. (Vapour lock issues.)
4. Simplicity of installation.
5. I would quite like to put a ?C? piece on the firewall to smooth the exit path for air. It would simplify that.
6. And there is another reason which I have forgotten.

Thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I might even not bother with a curtiss valve, just drop the cup now and then to look for crud.

Thanks, Steve.
UK

Back