What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scotchbrite

Brent Colvin

Well Known Member
I am in the process of painting my 7. Anybody know where I can buy a scotchbrite 6" self stick pad for my DA Sander?

Palm Sander

Brent, I have used a palm sized electric sander with great results. The one I have has a triangle shape pad with heavy duty Velcro type hooks. It will hold a regular sheet of scotchbrite which is easy to source.

My DA used the velcro type hooks

I cut sheets of grey scotch brite into circles to match the sand paper for it.
I worked pretty good, but from time to time I would need to re-center the pad.
Made scoffing the alclad for priming go very quick.

Kent

Auto Paint Supply

I bought several different colors from a SW dealer in our area that supplies auto body repair shops.

When it got right down to painting my RV, I had some of the larger gray scotchbright pads from an auto paint supply. A big bucket of warm soapy water and the garden hose. The day before paint, I scrubbed the aircraft parts with the pad and soapy water. This scuffs & cleans at the same time. Washed everything clean and let dry. This idea was recommended by a painter. Before paint, I used Coleman stove fuel, or a brand recommended by the paint manufacturer for a washdown.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks for the replys. I bought some double sided tape from napa, cut my maroon scotchbrite to fit, worked great.

as far as i know 3m doesnt make ScotchBrite for a DA application. But what i do is use a 3M Hook-It pad that has the stiff side of the Velcro on the DA pad. the Hook-It 2 is the other way around i think.. Anyway.. Using that DA pad it holds the Scotchbrite on there very nicely. It will come off from time to time, but thats just about the time you need to change to a new piece anyway ;-)

Back