What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cameron, Texas, restaurant check-out

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Tanya Card heard a couple of pilots on air-to-air mention a Mexican restaurant at Cameron, Texas, a couple of months ago and convinced Paul and me to join her and Scott on a restaurant exploration trip today. Worked out well. The restaurant is only a couple of minutes walk form the ramp at T35, the food and cost are good, and Cameron is just about as centrally located to Houston-Austin-San Antonio-DFW as you can find. I'm sure we'll return.

IMG_3672.JPG

Casa Carrasco Bar and Grill is the bright colored building. Very convenient to the airport.

IMG_3675.JPG

Paul and I arrived first in the Valkyrie. We hoped to add fuel but found the pump locked on this Saturday.

IMG_3677.JPG

Tanya taxis in after a very nice landing

IMG_3679.JPG

Paul and I filled up at the $6.99 buffet. Tanya and Scott checked out regular meals.

IMG_3680.JPG

Paul, Scott, and Tanya enjoyed the beautiful day for a flight, Mexican food, and good company. So did I!:)

Good find, Tanya!

I had the enchilada rancheras. It was fine, but I'm pretty sure the buffet is the way to go. Fun little flight. Tanya tried out almost full throttle at 3500' for the short 15min flight.

Thanks for the the new find, we are always looking for another fly and eat place. Do you have any information on the hours and days the restaurant is open?

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Thanks for the the new find, we are always looking for another fly and eat place. Do you have any information on the hours and days the restaurant is open?

Martin Sutter
EAA Technical Counselor

Hours:

3906 N. Travis • Cameron, Texas 76502
254-697-2621
Mon - Thurs: 11 am - 9 pm
Fri - Sat: 11 am - 10 pm
Sun: 11 am - 2 pm

In fact, I found their menu online!

http://www.ourmenuonline.com/PDFMenus/Cameron/Cameron-CasaCarrascosBar&Grill.pdf

We've gotta make this an RV lunch place soon! Don't count on fuel - the pump is obvious, but it looked like it was for "locals with a key only" - no apparent FBO, no sign for anyone to call for fuel, and no credit card machine.

Additional Cameron Review

I arrived just as Paul, Louise, Tanya and Scott were departing from Cameron(after 1:30)... We also ate lunch at Casa Carrasco (thanx for the heads up Paul) and had good sandwiches instead of the Mexican food. The restaurant got a little busy around 2:00 and we were glad that we had stopped in for lunch. FYI... I'm pretty sure that we dined at the table reserved for the Dye/Hose/Card party... See y'all next time. :)

Victor Stahl
RV-7A
IWS - Houston

Hi from Cameron

I thought I saw an RV flying in Saturday while I was outside working and the fence

Glad you found my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, good food, good prices, and very quick service. They never like to see your chips or you drink empty.

Fuel is available, but you have to call the Police department non emergency number (697-6574) and they will send and officer out to unlock and take you money. Cash only, and limited to daylight hours.

We will be getting a self-service pump this year, and an AWOS station.

Cool, a new place for fly-in grub! I've dropped in to Cameron a few times and had seen this place down the street but never stopped in... gonna have to give it a try now.

As for another S Texas place to try, has any else been to Barth's Restaurant in Kenedy? It's halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, located just outside the front gate of the Karnes Co Airport (2R9), maybe a 1/4 mile walk. It's an old school local cafe, looks straight out of the 60's. I read a good review of it in "Texas Monthly" and thought I'd check it out... the chicken fried steak was okay but not great, service was friendly. Best part was the pie! Yum.

For a funny coincidence; when my Mom was a kid she grew up around San Antonio, Corpus and Karnes City. I mentioned that I had stopped in for lunch at Barth's... she gave me a surprised look and laughed, then told me that while in high school in the late 50's she'd been there a few times on date nights. Small world.

Next time, we'll let you know we're coming!

I thought I saw an RV flying in Saturday while I was outside working.

Good to know you're up there and we'll let you know that we're coming next time. Also very good to learn how to get fuel. The price, as I recall, was also good. We'll be back soon.

Checked out the restaurant at Cameron, TX (T35) today. It was a beautiful day in north Texas and we could not pass up the opportunity. The little airport is very nice with good paved surfaces but the ramp could fill up quickly if a lot of airplanes gathered at the same time.

The food at the Mexican restaurant was great and the menu had a lot of options. This place will go on our list of favorite lunch fly-out places.

Thanks again Paul and Louise for finding it for us.

Martin Sutter
EAA Technical Counselor

Back