What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR phraseology

turbo

Well Known Member
learned a little tidbit today. reading back my ifr clearance today i said one point five for my initial altitude. i was corrected, it should be one thousand five hundred. there you go, correct faa phraseology.;)

aircraft used for checkride

Does any one know if I can NOT take my instrument check ride in my RV? It meets all the equipment and certification (Pitot/static) but I heard that the aircraft used for practical test must be certificated aircraft and I am not sure if it means to have the correct certification or certificate as like a Cessna?

I know of at least one person who took his instrument checkride in his RV.

Lots of folks have done checkrides in their RVs. I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head.

One friend though taxied out to the runway and the examiner told him he failed at the hold short line. They taxied back in. The reason he failed was because a) His GPS database was expired and b) he didn't have a compass card on his compass. Those mistakes cost him $500.00.

So in other words, whatever airplane you take your checkride in, make sure that you have your ducks in a row.

Getting back to the OP theme........ IFR Phraseology to me means "I Follow Roads". ;)

Last edited:
I have had one of my students take his Instrument Rating checkride in his RV-10. The examiner even asked if he could take it around the patch for a touch and go!!!

Thanks for the feed back and info. I was reading the "instrument parctical test standard" and in the section taking about the aircraft it mentioned that it needs to be "certified" .

Along those lines, what sort of document do we need to add to the aircraft (POH presumably) for the certified GPS, 430W in my case?

Does any one have a sample document for that and is it required for the check ride?

Instrument Flight Test

I don't believe a POH is required, but in addition to your Registration, Airworthiness, (as an experimental, this should show your Operating Limitations), and W&B, you'll also need logs showing Condition Inspection, Pitot/Static cert, and Encoder cert. In addition, you'll need to show appropriate logs indicating VOR check and GPS data currency, if applicable. Get a copy of the Instrument Rating Practical Test Standard. Should all be in there.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Mehrdad:
Sorry, bad answer to your question. In a certified aircraft, a certified GPS is normally shown as a supplement to the POH. Not sure if an addendum is required in our aircraft if the OP Limitations read something like, "Certified for Day/Night VFR unless otherwise equipped." Maybe Stein or one of the DARs can help. Good luck.
Terry

Does any one know if I can NOT take my instrument check ride in my RV? It meets all the equipment and certification (Pitot/static) but I heard that the aircraft used for practical test must be certificated aircraft and I am not sure if it means to have the correct certification or certificate as like a Cessna?

Tip: Find an examiner who flies an RV.

Back