What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Wing Kit Options

dmaib

Well Known Member
I am preparing to order my 10 QB and am interested in comments about the Landing Light and Float Fuel Sending Unit options that Van offers.

QB wings

When I recieved my wing kit, I was glad I ordered the fuel level floats. Having used capacitence levels on a previous project, it had many dawbacks with regards to the position of the fuel tank. Due to other considerations of the previous project, the capacitence levels were a better choice. But on the -10, plain old faithful floats are most definetely a better choice, and far less expensive. having owned two Pipers with similar float loacation as the
-10, both Pipers were accurate, and reliable (and old, 35yrs). I opted for simplicity and cost
T88
RV10
N968TP

Landing lights

Should havce added to the precious response. I opted for Van's landing lights, for pure simplicity and cost. With many offerings, cost and complexity may be a better consideration for you. The availibility is numerous, and all those using them appear to be pleased. Coin toss.
T88
RV10

Lights

I would highly recommend adding the Duckworks lights. I also have the kit from Van's and will use these for wigwag. The difference in the Van's 60 Watt lights and the Duckworks HID's is incredible. The HID's turn night into day. I don't know anyone who has has ever said they have too much light for landing though.

They are very easy to install and will last a long time.

Order the float type fuel level floats along with the proseal.

I agree with Scott. I too installed Van's light kit, and I will probably also add duckworks lighting. I do not think Van's lighting kit will be that effective for landing at night.

Larry Rosen
RV-10 #356
http://lrosen.nerv10.com

Back