What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Atlanta area: my talking wingstand

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
If a wing cradle could talk, what would it say?

It would talk about the sweat and the blood it saw you give each night when others were sleeping. It could talk of your frustrations over a thousand small imperfections and your immense joy as each part was put together for the supposed last time. It could describe how you sat and just stared for hours at that hunk of metal, wondering what that first day would be like. It could recall stories of all the visitors who came by to see your work, wondering if you were crazy and knowing for sure you were different. It might look back on how it saw your kids grow so tall, not knowing life without your project. It might reflect on your wife's struggle to be supportive as she realizes she's lost 2000 hours of you to the not so mythological Siren that faithfully lures you into the shop each night. And it would surely brag on the day it's payload was freed to help you join that long line of men from the Wright Brothers to Richard Van Grunsven who know what it means to see their creation take flight.

If my wing stand could talk, it would say that it saw all of that, not once, but multiple times. You see, my wing cradle is now a seemingly innocuous piece of history. Over the past 10 years, it has served seven planes and five builders. It's no longer just a wing cradle. Now it's time to find the next plane. Are you near to Atlanta? Are you dedicated to finishing your project and insuring that you'll add your name to this list and find the next builder to carry the torch? I'll charge you the same thing I was charged: zero.

N687MS RV-6A Mike Stewart 2000
N3700W 11AC Mike Stewart 2002
N311U RV-4 Bob Goodman 2003
N514BS RV-Super7 Scott Solberg 2004
N687MS RV-Super8 Mike Stewart 2004
N622JP RV-7A Jamie Painter 2008
N517DG RV-7 Don Hall 2009
..your name here...

I also have an empennage cradle. It's like a wing cradle, except it's designed to carry all your tail feathers, including both stabs, rudder, and elevators. All free to a good builder's home in the metro Atlanta area. I'm based at LZU, clearing out my hangar this month.

Last edited:
What would be really cool is for all the previous owners/users to sign and date the stand, and all new folks to continue the tradition.

Think I will do that with my wing stand, which came to me from another builder, when I pass it on to its third owner.

What would be really cool is for all the previous owners/users to sign and date the stand, and all new folks to continue the tradition.
The builder I bought my tools from punched his name in some of the tools. I've been thinking that WHEN ;) I finish, I'll punch in "RV-6A" next to his name, and then my name with the plane I built and maybe pass them on. Or build again:)

Don,

Great post. I can relate! My wing stand came to me second-hand (or third) and I will definitely be passing it on when I'm done with it. It was free to me, and will be freely given to the next builder. It's very well built. I added a cradle in between the wings to hold the horizontal stabilizer and elevators.

I like the idea of carving or burning your name into it, too, along with a date and what airplane you built. Great idea!

Nice Idea

Now I just have to find someone in the Tampa, Florida area that feels the same way.....Hey Don how would you feel about your wing and emp stand moving south to Plant City, Florida 17 miles from Sun-n-Fun???? Maybe I will build my own and start the same thing here in the Tampa area.

Regards

Rich Denton

Last edited:
I'm not sure how long you'll have it but I'm gathering tools right now and pending a demo flight, I will order my empennage and wing kit.

Don dont get rid of it yet. I got another set of Super 8 wings to stick in it in another month or so. Remember the ones Im building with the full leading edge tanks?
Gonna need the stand again for sure.

N687MS rides again

Roger - Another set of wings for the Super8.

We'll try again in few months. And I don't think it needs to be limited to Atlanta, just limited to someone's willingness to transport.

Don

Back