What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV life in or around melbourne FL?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm contemplating a relocation to the Melbourne area... what should I know before I decide? Where are most RVs based? Are hangars possible to get? Work would be near KMLB... where would I want to base a plane? Possible at KMLB? Also, where are good places to live around there (good high schools, nice houses, etc.) Would I expect to have to evacuate for hurricanes often?

Thanks for any info.... moderators delete if not enough RV content.

dave

Hangars

There are currently hangars available to rent at X21, Titusville, FL. At KMLB I am aware of one brand new hangar that is actually for sale for $75,000. Possibly the owner would be willing to rent it out instead.

I am based at X21 and am currently seeking an RV-6A to purchase.

There are several builders in the area. At Merritt Island (COI), I am building a 9A and there is also an 8 and a Rocket under constuction. At MLB, I know of a 9 being built. The hanger waiting list at COI is years long, but there may be some at MLB, though expensive, and there may be some in Valkaria to the south. I think all of the airports have outside parking available.

I have lived down here since the mid 80's and hurricanes don't come our way too often. Evacuations are typically only if you live on the barrier islands or in low spots. There are a number of different places to live in all different prices ranges, with something for everyone. I think the area is a pretty good place to live.

I just spent 3 days in the Vero Beach area. Beautiful. I saw many out-of-state license plates. Go figure.
Anyway, I talked with the airport manager at Vero about hangar space just in case I relocate. The city owned T-hangars rent for $445.00 per month. There are privately owned hangars on the field but these will become city owned in 10 years when the non-renewable lease runs out. Same thing applies if you construct your own hangar; it becomes the city's hangar after the lease runs out in 20 years, or so.
I guess a guy could, gasp, tie 'er down on the ramp, shudder.
The other nearby option would be purchasing property at an airpark. I saw lots for sale in Sport Aviation mag on Merrit Island.

Back