What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hold onto your wallets in Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

This EAA Legislative Alert is being sent, as a member service, to all EAA members in Washington.

The Washington state House of Representatives just introduced House Bill 3176 that will impose a .005% (1/2 percent) excise tax on all aircraft in the state of Washington. The bill also states that if you elect to register your aircraft in another state and that state does not have a excise tax or is less than this new WA excise tax you will be required to pay the difference. This addition to the state of Washington tax law is in Sec. 1002 of this bill and it reads:

Sec. 1002. RCW 82.48.020 and 2000 c 229 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:

1. An annual excise tax is imposed for the privilege of using any aircraft in the state. The amount of the tax is five-tenths of one percent of the taxable value of the aircraft, as determined under section 1003 of this act.
2. The tax imposed under this section must be collected annually or under a staggered collection schedule as required by the secretary by rule.
3. Persons who are required to register aircraft under chapter 47.68 RCW and who register aircraft in another state or foreign country and avoid the aircraft excise tax imposed under this section are liable for the unpaid excise tax. A violation of this subsection is a gross misdemeanor.
4. The department of revenue may, under chapter 82.32 RCW, assess and collect the unpaid excise tax imposed under this section, including the penalties and interest provided in chapter 82.32 RCW.
5. Except as provided under subsection (3) of this section, a violation of this chapter is a misdemeanor punishable as provided in chapter 9A.20 RCW.

As proposed in the bill, this new excise tax will take the place of the current annual registration fee. So if you own a single-engine fixed wing airplane worth $100,000 your current annual registration fee is $65.00. Under the proposal in the bill that annual fee (excise tax) would jump to $500.00.

For comparison purposes in the state of Washington - non-commercial boats pay an annual excise tax of .005%, but only if the boat is over 16' in length ; and if you own a car you only pay an excise tax of .003% at the time you purchase the car, but not annually. Information from the Washington State Department of Revenue web site.

EAA is urging you to take immediate action.

Contact your state legislators to protest this new and unwarranted excise/property tax on your aircraft.
Washington State House of Representatives - http://www.leg.wa.gov/house/Pages/default.aspx
Washington State Senators - http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Senators/Pages/default.aspx

The time to act is NOW...

Post your feedback or comments on this thread on Oshkosh365.

Randy Hansen, EAA # 590242
Government Relations Director

EAA - The Spirit of Aviation - www.eaa.org

Phone: 920-426-6103 or 6522
Fax: 920-426-4885 or 6560

See you at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, July 26 - August 1, 2010, www.airventure.org

"An annual excise tax is imposed for the privilege of using any aircraft in the state."

The vague wording suggests that aircraft transiting from another state, or from Canada, may also be liable to this tax. First EAPIS, and now a tax. It's like the US doesn't want any visitors anymore.

Write your representitives! But feel lucky.... In CA we pay property tax
on our aircraft annually which is approx 1% of its value (determined by
the county in which it is parked). So for that same 100K airplane, we
pay about $1,000 annually..... AND we are still 20B in debt!

Last edited:
Don't come to Charlotte, NC, the property tax on a $100K airplane will be $838.70. OUCH!

Anyone out there who can help with my little project, please contact me off list.

I would like to pass a law that caps the tax rate on a plane (or boat or car) if it is owned by the person who built it. If you sold that plane, then the new owner would have to pay the full load, just as if they had bought a factory built plane.

I know, now is not the time to ask for such tax cuts but there is never a good time.

Likewise in Georgia. We pay a premium in property taxes. Like Chino Tom it's very close to 1%.

Sorry bout that

Hate to break this to you guys, but the U.S. debt is over 12 TRILLION dollars (about $40,000 per person) and currently increasing at a rate of 4 BILLION per day.

Not that we are doing so good here in Canada, our federal government debt is about $15,000 per person. Our income taxes are high, however the only annual property taxes we pay is on house and land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back