What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy WIG WAG circuit

Ted Radclyffe

I had been contemplating how I might add a wig wag within the existing wiring
This Circuit is simple cheap and easy to install . The difficulty conceptually was to use the existing wiring without running any additional switches. It simply requires the cutting of the wire to each of the wing lights at a convenient point and inserting the box. If the circuit fails then the wires can be easily restored.

The concept is a little different in that I figure that I want either the taxi light or the landing light but if I put both on together I get a WIG WAG.

The parts count is minimal with a total cost in parts $A<10.
The secret is in the P chanel MOSFETS which are above the load.
I put the red and green LEDS there just so that I could see if the Flip flop was switching during set up.

there are only 4 conections to be made with the, low current earth being picked up on the aircraft frame where the box is mounted.

Circuit flashes at just under a second a side and has been flashing for a day so far as a soak test.

It won't be everybody's cup of tea but the simplicity is worth a try and the whole time to make on a piece of vero is less than a day. Heat sink is minimal as the circuit is working in switch mode.

Noise on radios is undetectable at this time.

The circuit is shown below . Sorry about the sizing but this is my first try at planting an image.

URL=http://imageshack.us]
wigwagcircuit2sm.png
[/URL]

Back