What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint with tanks on or off ???

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
I am getting ready for paint and was wondering what others have done with the tanks. Have you painted your plane with the tanks on or off?

I am going to paint before final assembly at the airport and first flight. Although I leak- tested, one never knows for sure, until the tanks have had fuel in them for a while, if they are realy realy perfectly leak free. (no rivets " sweating").

If the tanks would ever have to come off, painting them separate is the way to go. If they will stay on for ever, why not paint them on the wings and have all the screws painted in the process?

Regards, Tonny.

If the tanks would ever have to come off

It really isn't a question of "if", it is a question of "when". Almost every RV with any serious time on it has had a tank off at least once.

Painting them off the airplane...I don't really see much value. You can cut the paint between the tank and the wing.

Do yourself a good deed. DO NOT paint over the screws, many of us have removed the screws while painting and been very glad we did. The tanks may never have to be removed but if they do???? Just my opinion. Larry

When Grady painted my RV, tanks were on, but all the tank screws were replaced and new stainless screws installed after paint.

Duoble checking for leaks before install.

I do believe the tanks look better with the painted screws. To reduce the chance of having to remove the tanks, I am gong to the airfield today to get a couple cans of Avgas and leave that in the tanks for a week, one at a time. If that does not produce any weeping rivets, I guess it should be OK.
With my long range tanks (3 additional bays) I would need to order a lot of SS-screws, because the plated ones will not do without paint.

And if the tanks still have to come off, for any other reason, indeed there is paint cutters.

Thanks for the replies. Regards, Tonny.

I took my tanks off to paint.
I have heard of some folks backing the screws out most of the way and then shooting paint under the heads. If the dimpled areas were not properly prepped for paint, then it is a waste of time to paint them...

It may depend on your color scheme.

Paint with tanks on. I would rather have it look good for 5-10 years (until I may need to take the tank off) with the screws painted over then have all those screws in the the middle of my paint scheme (dark blue over most of the tank) stand out.

Back