What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good hiking backpack

KirkGrovesRV8

Well Known Member
Do we have any avid hikers/backpackers out there in VAF land?
My wife and I decided we want to get out and hit some trails this year, any recommendations for packs??
The RV tie in is...... of course packs that will fit in the 8 well;-)

backpacking

Yup, hardcore! Been all over the country and just recently been thinking about using the Cardinal to get to some new places. RV won't be ready for another couple of years but would be really interested in some good destinations via aircraft.

We are located in Michigan and have backpacked just about every decent trail within 300 miles. I am really looking forward to the opportunities flying will present. Love to get others involved and share their favorites.

Well, backpacks are like airplanes. How big do you need it and how much do you want to spend? :)

Serioously, though I assume that you want a big day pack that will also do light overnights? My favorite old-school pack in that category is the Mountainsmith Bugaboo, about 2200 cu in, narrow vertical style, also great for skiing. If you can pick up one used, I recommend it. I still have mine that I purchased in 1991, will never sell it. Unfortunately, Mountainsmith was never the same after Patrick Smith left the company about 10 years ago, and the new packs aren't the same.

In terms of new packs, I like the Gregory Z35. It's available in three sizes, 2000 to 2300 cu in. Great suspension, nice vented panel to keep the pack away from your back for cooling. Lifetime warranty.

The best thing is, of course, to try it on with some weight in it and buy what fits you. I highly suggest you purchase from a retail store that allows you to try on the pack and return it if you don't like it. REI does this, will also do mail order, and you can become a member / owner and get about 8% of your purchases back at the end of the year. I've seen people return items to REI after 3-4 months, no problem.

I would not suggest any of the camelbak style packs for anything more then short hiking - they lack any sort of suspension and aren't comfortable carrying more than about 10 lb. You're better off adding a water bladder (any brand) to a good pack.

TODR

Kirk,

I have a couple Osprey and REI brand backpacks. For the money, the REI brand can't be beat. I don't think there isn't an REI by you, but if you fly down to DMW, I would gladly pick ya (and your wife) up and drive you down to the Towson, MD REI -- its about 20 miles from DMW.

Gregory for me. I have four different packs, depending on what I'm doing & how long I'll be gone.

Check out www.campmor.com for some good prices.

It is best you find a good camping store (Stay away from the big chains) and have them fit you and your wife. They do make packs for women, get your wife one. It made all the difference in the world for her.

My first Gregory pack fit so well that I used to hike shirtless and never got a blister.

BTW, good equipment, like tools can cost some good money.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the offer Mike unfortunately the 8 is apart with the cylinders heading to ECI:rolleyes:
But Thanks for the info guys !

ULA

Ultralight Adventure Equipment makes high-quality, lightweight internal frame backpacks. Choose a model based on how much weight you plan to carry. Big mesh outside pockets are good for wet gear. The hipbelt pockets keep items like your camera handy. When the pack gets funky just take out the internal stays and toss it in the washing machine.

I took one up the AT for 5-1/2 months and it came through with with minimal wear and tear.

The web site link: http://www.ula-equipment.com/

...Joe

I'd say it depends on the length of your hiking. If you're looking for something that is a great daypack with room to go 1-2 days, consider the Deuter brand:

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/

Well built, very ergonomic, strong belts, hydration-integrated (or integrateable), aircomfort feature suspends the frame off of your back so it's ventilated - no more sweaty back. Sizes from 600 cu. inches to mountaineering sizes. The model I have can be used for day hiking, 1-2 day treks, skiing, mountain biking, even as my only airline carry on for a weekend trip. It doesn't have room for a tent, but I can strap one and pad to it easily as an option.

If you buy a 3K cu. inch pack, you'll also buy a lot more (heavy) stuff to fill it up.

Also, check out the Eagle Creek compression sacs. Fit more into less space.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/compression_bags/

One other thing...

Buy the packs that fit you best!!! Don't just buy based on brand name. There is nothing worse than having a pack that doesn't fit well, moves around a lot, and causes "hot spots".

Flying / camping logistics

Backpacking trips via RV seem like a great way to do it. You can certainly expand your trail options without LONG drives. And the airplane will certainly haul more stuff than you can carry.

But - how do you guys that fly to camp handle getting from airport to trailhead? Rent a car? That's always been the logistical problem that's kept me road-bound.

Do we have any avid hikers/backpackers out there in VAF land?
My wife and I decided we want to get out and hit some trails this year, any recommendations for packs??
The RV tie in is...... of course packs that will fit in the 8 well;-)

Hi Kirk,

Katie and I try to hike a lot. My last big hike was the Grand Canyon from Rim to Rim (24 miles in 12 hrs) in October. We use daypacks from REI. I used to like bladders but now use several individual water containers. Water is a critical item for hiking in AZ in the summer and with the individual containers, I dont worry about the bladder leaking and running out of water.
Heres a hike we did a while ago with some of the SoCal Group.
We just got a couple of folding bikes for Xmas that hopefully will fit in our RV-6a when its done that we plan on using for exercise/getting to trailheads.

http://eaa538.org/trips/zion/zion.htm

Backpacking trips via RV seem like a great way to do it. You can certainly expand your trail options without LONG drives. And the airplane will certainly haul more stuff than you can carry.

But - how do you guys that fly to camp handle getting from airport to trailhead? Rent a car? That's always been the logistical problem that's kept me road-bound.

For the Appalachian trail, there is a whole network of people that will pick you up, shuttle you or your car around. Lot's of web sites, just need to do a little googling. I'm sure this network of people will have no trouble picking you up and dropping you off at the airport. They do charge a fee, but it beats leaving a rental car at a trail head for a while.

The airport just outside the south rim of the grand canyon has a shuttle into the park also. Small fee there too.

I'd be interested in some beta from people who live near other major trails (continental divide, Colorado trail, pacific coast highway) or parks.

And, I have a couple Osprey packs; couldn't be happier.

Here's a thought - for light duty work....see if the Bison mountain guys are willing to make a set of backpack straps for their RV bags. Then you'll have something that is easily transported in the RV - and easily carried.....

Just to second what others have said about Gregory. I did 50 miles of the 100-mile-wilderness section of the Appalachian Trail in four days in August and it was gloriously comfortable. I don't think the Gregory packs can be beat for comfort and fit, but they are at the top end of the price range.

The pack I have is the Baltoro 70...http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/15/baltoro-70

You'd probably want a smaller pack for weekend trips.

backpacking%20010.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of packs are good and a lot of them are very comfortable... if they are on the right person.

I would highly recommend finding a sporting goods store that rents a variety of packs and try all of them for a weekend each because trying to simulate a realistic load in the store is pretty much impossible to do, especially because it really doesn't matter how well it feels in the store. What matters is how it feels after a few miles and a few thousand feet of elevation gain.

REI rents a variety, but there might be other stores in your area that do. At the end of the year, buy the one that was most comfortable.

Using this method 18 years ago I just happened to end up with a North Face pack that I have loved ever since.

The bigger problem for you, I think, is that it may be tough to fit backpacks in an RV8 if both seats are filled with people. What you would probably need to do is wait to fill the pack until you've landed at your destination.

Good luck with all this, and happy hiking!

Last edited:
Thanks again Guys! I looked at all the websites and I kinda fell in love with a couple of them but I am going to go to the local REI and rent one for me and my wife and take them for a hike (as soon as we get a somewhat nice weekend)
You know it might be fun to get a RV hiking group going :) we just need some 10's to act as the heavy haulers:p
Thanks again!

Arc'teryx

The Arc'teryx Bora series seems to work well for me. Pick a size to suit your mission.

My back is a little sensitive to the shape and loading of a pack, and this one seemed adjustable enough to work very well for my needs. I've mostly used mine in the Tetons, for 5 to 8 day trips.

My pack was 31 lbs for my last 8-day journey. Since then, I've sort of used that as a benchmark for what I should be able to get by with on the average weekend flight junket.

Now that I'm married, though, I guess I need to consider a shower every few days and maybe a change of clothes every now and then...

M

Last edited:
We're mostly day hikers, but,

Last year we bought two packs that my son and I can share - a Deuter Futura Zero 40 and an REI Venturi 30. We live where it's hot, so both packs keep the pack itself spaced off your back behind a mesh panel. The Deuter is hydration compatible and is a "real" backpack of 2400 - 2500 ci. The Venturi is more of a deluxe day pack that can carry a lot of water. Without all of the water on board, it would easily serve for a weekend pack. Very happy with both, and all bought at REI. We used the dividend to buy a new tent this year! I really like getting to play with all of the stuff at the store, since even amoung several quality brands, certain items will just fit a certain individual better. Having the folks at REI to advise us was also a big plus, given our limited experience.

One other thought, keep an eye on your local news stand for the Gear Guide issue of Backpacker magazine.

There is a lot of good info in there.

Went to REI today and got fitted and bought a really nice Osprey backpack that was on sale;-) Time to hit the trails;-)
Excellent. Osprey is a good brand, up there with Gregory for mass produced packs. REI will not disappoint in terms of customer service.

Side Note: I had a friend who worked at REI back in the early 90s, got lots of gear through him at a discount :D. Everything that is returned to the store gets a tag with the reason for the return. They will accept just about anything back, even with wear. One such return was a tent that had obviously seen a couple of seasons of camping, not tattered, but not in great shape. Reason for return: "Didn't like smell."

TODR

Back