What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop out handle

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I saw this pop out handle at OSH, and I didn't note the name of the builder. Does anyone know this guy, or has anyone implemented something similar?

Perhaps it's not really needed - not sure - but it seems like a good way to move the aircraft forward.

Just curious how he did this.

I have seen that handle on a Cessna 170B before. Sure makes it nice for moving around and backing into the hanger. Pulls out on both sides.
Squeak

There is an RV-6 on my field with the same handle, looks pretty cool.
He built his plane in texas with the help of some friends. He is a retired airline pilot and one of his helper buddies was an airplane metal guy, hence the neet nicety of the handle.
My -6 is pretty easy to push around, mostly at the fuel pump, because when I'm at the hangar, I have the towbar, but I do have to place myhands flat on ribs etc and get my prints all over a nice wax job.
BTW, I really love the full swivel tail wheel, I originally had the standard wheel and chains and it was a pain to roll back.
Bob Martin
Louisa VA

This is a commerically made product for installation in t/w planes. I've seen ads in Trade-a-plane. Unfortunately I am at work and don't have a copy with me. I'll see if i can get specific info and post it.

John Ciolino

saw this pop out handle at OSH, and I didn't note the name of the builder. Does anyone know this guy, or has anyone implemented something similar?

Perhaps it's not really needed - not sure - but it seems like a good way to move the aircraft forward.

Hi Mickey.

We have what looks to be the same thing on our AirCam, and it is very useful for preflighting the wing-mounted engines (you stand on the tube) but I don't seen the usefuleness for the RV-8.

To move the RV-8 forward (or backward for that matter) without bothering to put the towbar on, it is very simple to to stand at the wing root with the canopy fully open, and grab the seat weldment. As long as the flaps are down, the angle is comfortable, the weldment is sturdy, and it is child's play to move the airplane (even steering it) without help. Occasionally it takes a shove on the aft fuselage over one of the bulkheads to flip the tailwheel one way or the other. I always move my plane out of the hangar this way, and put the towbar on the tail only to drag it back in.

James

Moving the RV8

James, thanks for the info. I think I'll wait to see how easy it is to move without the pop out handle before I put it in.

Builder is Jeff Sharman of Vacaville, CA. RV-8 N165HS. I can ask him when I see him but that could take weeks.

Back