What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Norfolk

KirkGrovesRV8

Well Known Member
Hey guys
I am looking for advice on the best airport to use for a visit to Norfolk?
Besides Norfolk International
Thanks!

I used Chesapeake KCPK last year when visiting my son in Norfolk. It is a nice airport with a nice FBO and self-serve fuel. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCPK

There's a couple of guys on the forums based at that airport.

Airnav.com used to link to a sectional. Id didn't see that feature this time to the website. Does anyone know what happened?

Depending where you want to go in the Norfolk area

Try: KPVG,Hampton Roads, KCPK, Chesapeake, KSFQ, Suffolk or across the bay KPHF, Newport News, and KJGG, Williamsburg. Lots to see and lots of traffic. Auto more than aircraft.

David

SkyVector.com

Airnav.com used to link to a sectional. Id didn't see that feature this time to the website. Does anyone know what happened?

It used to link to SkyVector.com for Sectional charts. SkyVector recently made some improvements, including airport pages to rival Airnav.com. Looks like the friendly arrangement got competitive.

I have been based at CPK, PVG and PHF

Of all of them, PVG is the "easiest". Cheapest fuel by far ($3.30ish). Cheap tie downs. Probably even a hanger available if you ask.

CPK is OK. Has an ILS and self serve fuel (expensive).

BTW, CPK is NOT closer to the waterfront than PVG. PVG is right off the highway and much more convenient than CPK.

PVG has at least two RVs that I know of.

Don't do a full stop at ORF. They charge $20 just to shut down. Criminally high fuel prices too.

Bruce is on the mark.

I have flown into the Norfolk/Newport News area for 20+ years. Used to go to ORF about 90% of the time. The FBO was friendly, car always ready, fuel more expensive than others, but not unreasonable. The worm turned and I started searching for an alternate. I liked PVG. The only negative was waiting for Enterprise to bring the car. It increased my drive by 20-30 minutes. Not a big deal.

Have fun. The water is cold this time of year.

David

Thanks guys;-^) ok I will give PVG the nod
Don't worry I won't be getting in the water. My wife and I want to check out the pirate exhibit they have in town

Back