What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I hate primer prep

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I'm just saying, primer prep is a real downer. I told myself that I wasn't going to endure the torture of priming a whole bunch of parts during this build. Last time I started with the full sequence, wash, acid etch, alodine, prime. That lasted through the wings. By the end of the fuselage I was doing a scuff, wipe, prime from a can. This time, I said minimal primer. But then Rick goes and posts a bunch of pictures of his beautiful AKZO green interior. Ooh, I like. Ok, so I decided to prime (only, no paint) the interior structure of the -8. I was building along through the first three sheets of plans for the fuselage, having a great time. Finally I had this big stack of parts staring me in the face just screaming for some primer. Ugh, ok. So Monday I spent washing parts. Tuesday I spent etching parts (Prekote this time). Today is Wednesday, and I'm giving them a final wipe down and setting up the primer booth...

I hate primer prep.

If you have any ideas on how to almost triple the CFM output of my little window fan (attic gable fan), for less than a couple hundred bucks, be sure to let us know, it is quite inadequate.

I love building but I despise the whole de-burring, scuffing, dimpling, prep, prime process so that you can cleco everything back together and rivet. It's got to be done and since I plan on keeping the airplane forever and I'm 24, it has to be done right.

Have you thought about a self-etching primer? I prime outside; the neighbors haven't complained yet and if they do, I'll just move to the backyard.

Scott,

How's the Prekote working for you?

Just curious...but might consider using it in the future.

Dave

Me Too!

I hate the prep too! I met a guy once who prepped and primed everything when he inventoried his kit. Only touch up was needed when trimming or modifying parts. Could save a lot of time.

Scott -

Go buy ONE can of the Duplicolor from Advanced Auto and do a few parts - the color is great, the finish hard as regular paint. You do each part as required, don't wait for a batch. It just simplifies the whole process to where building is once again enjoyable!

Paul

Increase CFM

Scott:

I use multiple 4" marine bilge blowers to suck the air out of my home made downdraft spray booth. They are blast sealed and in conjunction with an HVLP gun keep any mist or overspray to a minimum. I push the air outside through a combination of furnace and charcoal filters in an attempt to both keep the stink to a minimum and ensure I don't cover the side of my house or my car with AKZO.

The 4" blowers are each rated at 235 CFM. My booth is 800 cubic feet, and 2 blowers seem to work just fine for me, even when I have a lot of spraying going on. The HVLP gun does a lot to keep overspray to a minimum, and I make a habit of shooting the gun in the direction of the outgoing air.

Here are the specs on the blowers:
http://www.rule-industries.com/prod..._in_line_blowers_x40_series/iid_267/index.htm

Personally you can keep Prekote on the sellers shelf. It doesn't have the acidic strength for my liking, the USAF may use it but they have several AIC's around to make it work. Give me alumaprep and alodine any day, heck even loose the alodine if your using AKZO, that's great and really tough stuff!! OH ****!! I THINK I FIRED A SHOT IN THE PRIMER WAR!!! Sorry cease fire:D

Nothin' like a little primer talk in the morning to get the juices flowing :). I fully agree that Prekote isn't nearly as effective as alumaprep. However I've moved most of my process into the shop this time instead of hunched over parts on the driveway. The Prekote is easier on the body in the shop. I might go back to alumaprep if I feel feisty at some point. I've shunned the alodine process with AKZO. Did it, done it, not doing it again, (until I change my mind again).

Simplify

I have a 30 gallon drum of acid etch and another 30 gallon drum of alodine. Simply dip in etch a couple of minutes and rinse followed by immediately dipping in alodine for a few minutes with a rinse leaves a beautiful gold sheen on the part. A quick blast from the airhose dries the part ready for primer. Very simple and quick operation.

I have a 30 gallon drum of acid etch and another 30 gallon drum of alodine. Simply dip in etch a couple of minutes and rinse followed by immediately dipping in alodine for a few minutes with a rinse leaves a beautiful gold sheen on the part. A quick blast from the airhose dries the part ready for primer. Very simple and quick operation.

Wow, that would be cool! I couldn't stomach having that quantity of material on site. If the neighborhood gestapo ever found out, they would probably have my head.

I have a 30 gallon drum of acid etch and another 30 gallon drum of alodine.

OMG!!! I can't imagine having that much chemical sitting around but what a neat way to go...The heck with the secret neighborhood police, there is another version of them called the EPA!!:eek: Bad enough trying to keep the liquor still outta site of the law!;)

...and all is right in the world again. I finished this primer batch this morning and got things all cleaned up, ready to proceed with the fun part. Tanya came out to see if there was anything she could help with just as I finished and was cleaning the gun in my monkey suit. Her timing was impeccable. To her credit, she did help clean up the shop a little later after all of the fumes had dispersed while I was working on HER engine pre-heater project.

Back