What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great Business Idea!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Ya' know, what we really need.....

After 78 hours of flying the new EFIS-equipped -8, I am getting close to the point where I'll be ready to file IFR. I've spent a fair number of hours flying approaches, holds, and route segments under VFR conditions - and not because I was troubleshooting systems problems! In fact, I can't think of a single thing that hasn't worked right from the beginning in my GNS-430/GRT EFIS/Tru-Trak Pictorial Pilot system. No, the tricky thing has been figuring out how they play togetehr, how to get get them configured to do what I want to do - and making sure that I set them up properly for each specific task. It's not a problem with the equipment - it's a question of getting the pilot up to speed!

As I was flying along today, (burning 10 gallons per hour) figuring out the right setup for a GPS approach, I thought "What we really need is an out-of-work computer geek to build custom aircraft avionics configurations for MS Flight Sim that match people's actual panels!" I have downloaded countless aircraft models for the program, and some of the details that people put into them are incredible - from the standpoint of matching paint, panels, handling qualities, etc....But I've never seen anyone who dedictaed their work to matching a particular avionics system for a homebuilt. I know it can be done - there is a model of a CRJ with a Honeywell EFIS (or is it Bendix? I forget...) that functions pretty much like the one in the real thing.

Now if a person knew what they were doing, they could build a library of the popular Experimental avionics systems out there (EFIS's, autopilots, and Navigators) and then build up "aircraft" to people's specifications. We're talking panel simulations here - part-task trainers. They don't have to look and fly like the real airplane - they just need to have all the panel elements, linked in a way so that they can be used by the owner to master (and maintain currency) with their particular package! WHat would that be worth? I bet a person could make some money on it!

The place to learn how to operate a sophisticated avionics package is on the ground, in a simulator. It's safer, much more efficient, and burns a whole lot less gas.....

OK, so I have ideas....I didn't say I had any time (or talent....) to make them happen! But if anyone out there wants to build a model with a Dual-screen GRT EFIS, GNS-430, TruTrak Pictorial Pilot, Altrak...in something that flies about the speed of an RV-8 - well, I'd be real interested! ;)

Paul

That looks neat Danny!

I think that the 530 is already modelled in the version of 2004 that I have... I have also used the 430 simulator/trainer that Garmin puts out as a transition tool - great thing to have on your laptop when meetings get boring, or you're sitting waiting for an airliner....

I don't have any problems with the individual components - its integrated training tools that I'm talking about. For instance, in my plane, the Pictorial Pilot can be driven from either the EFIS or the GNS 430 directly. And it does different things with each interface. It's really important to know what is going to happen BEFORE you throw that switch! :rolleyes:

I flew up to DFW today from Houston, and with a 60 knot headwind, I got LOTS of time to practice with the systems however....

Paul

Howsabout you guys change your EFIS??

NO!

You guys need to change your EFIS so that the expanded scale airspeed and Altitude readouts are in the center of the tapes as per standard EFIS practice.

I can't believe you didn't change this when you went to the larger screen and more memory???
Cheers, Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back