What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

eggenfellner subaru

After much debate and soul searching my partners and I have decided to go with a egg,h-6. I have an rv-9 with a subie in it and really love the thing,that combined with the price difference new to new helped us make up our minds.
I was wondering how many others on this thred have gone that route I would like to hear from you.

Tom Welch
(rv9-200 hrs since june)
(rv10 starting tail cone,QB march)

Hi Tom

I thought Jan had decided not to work on a -10 package. I may be wrong, as I haven't been following the goings on there for a while.

I had originally put a deposit down on one of his engines for my -8, but a good deal on a run-out IO-360, and the fact I would have been (at the time) the first -8 customer, resulted in a Lycosaur on the front.

Cheers

This from their site...

*Keep in mind that our RV-10 package is also available now....

Directly from the eggenfellner site... (in the latest news section)

Alan

aadamson said:
*Keep in mind that our RV-10 package is also available now....

Directly from the eggenfellner site... (in the latest news section)

Alan
Shows you how much I know :D

Eggenfellner Subaru

Tom,

I recently ordered a new H-6 Supercharged RV-10 engine package from Jan and will take delivery in May, '06. Decision was based on HP range, Jan's reputation, and flying behind a subie package in an RV-9a. I was seriously looking at the Mistral rotary and the Lyc O-540 at one time, but the subie will be in my new airplane. Jan's decision to build a "10" package couldn't have come at a better time. I'm working on the last of the fuselage now, have the finishing kit on hand, and should be finished (as much as possible) when the engine arrives. My building partner, Larry Perryman, has the 4 cyl. subie package in his 9a, so installing the H-6 in the 10 should be relatively straight-forward. Plan to be flying in July, but probably won't make Oshkosh. Will keep those interested posted.

Looking forward to flying "The Perfect 10"

Bill Gipson
N730WL
Conroe, Texas

Cowl and other mods needed?

I was pretty well convinced about going with Jan's powerplant when I was was leaning towards the RV-7. I stopped following his progress when I decided to build the -10. I would love to hear what might be needed to modify the airframe for this package. I am sure tank return fuel lines are one but what about cowl, engine mount etc. What have those going forward with the Subie come across so far? If the H-6 works out as well as I think I may have to rethink my Lycoming descision. My finish kit is due next month.

Rick S.
Fuselage

Egg Subie

I've been a huge fan of the egg subie for a long time now. Was going to buy one for my -7 but then plans changed and I started a -10. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on Jans new years special for the new H-6's but was able to hold off for awhile (not to mention I'm still on the tail section). Latest HP rating I guess i've heard is 250 now, I think. I know it's well within the HP range for the -10 but I live in hot, dry Western KS and want as close to 260 HP as I can get. Looks like it will be just fine.

I cannot wait for the upcoming H-6 testing due in February. Definitely cannot wait to see some flying H-6's at OSH!!!!!

Bill Britton
RV-10 Elevators/tailcone

Eggenfellner Subaru

Today I received my SB wing kit, and i ordered the H-6 engine last week for a December delivery. I am very excited about the Subaru engine in my -10, and would love to talk to anyone about it, especially anyone who is further along than your truly. I live in Naperville Illinois, just outside of Chicago. My home phone is (630) 305-0134, and my cell is: (630) 308-7476.

Steve Mills

Jan's site says he has taken orders for 15 engines for RV10s. Seems there are a fair number of RV10 builders who don't want a Lyco up front. The weight/ hp/ cost of this engine would seem to be more competitive against the O-540s than the O-360s. Will be interesting to see the first one flying!

Steve Mills said:
I live in Naperville Illinois, just outside of Chicago.
Steve Mills

steve, i'm just down in bloomington/normal. i am taking delivery of my wings for my -7 in another week or two. i would love to see your project and talk soobs. i almost put a deposit on an egg last fall, but didn't pull the trigger 'cuz i'm afraid i won't be ready when the engine is. i may deposit this summer.

my cell is 309.532.4347. i work at image air.

Starts like a Car!

Okay, I will show my ignorance with those thingys that turn the propeller, but why is it that Lycoming engines can't start like a car? (Like the Subaru)

Thanks,
Mark

Can you say electronic ignition?

My guess is shorter stroke, higher RPM crankshaft rotation at start, high voltage electronic ignition and engine control.

Rick S.

RV-10 with a supercharged Subaru H-6.

Rick S. said:
I was pretty well convinced about going with Jan's powerplant when I was was leaning towards the RV-7. I stopped following his progress when I decided to build the -10. I would love to hear what might be needed to modify the airframe for this package. I am sure tank return fuel lines are one but what about cowl, engine mount etc. What have those going forward with the Subie come across so far? If the H-6 works out as well as I think I may have to rethink my Lycoming descision. My finish kit is due next month.

Rick S.
Fuselage

Rick: I am building an RV-10 and will be installing the H-6 Subaru, being delivered in Dec'06. The only modification you need is to delete your engine mount from the finish kit. The Eggenfellner conversion comes full firewall forward, including the engine mount. If you are considering the engine, you should talk to Jan at Eggenfellner ASAP. I am very excited about the engine, and if you wish to discuss it with me, just give me a call at 630-305-0134

Steve Mills

It'd be very nice if he could engineer a PSRU that could handle hydralic constant speed props. That is the one thing that is preventing me from considering a Subie, that durn electric constant speed POS.

Electric prop

osxuser said:
It'd be very nice if he could engineer a PSRU that could handle hydralic constant speed props. That is the one thing that is preventing me from considering a Subie, that durn electric constant speed POS.
Unless you are planning on doing a lot of serious acro, the electric prop is great. For acro, just set it to fixed pitch, and start flying. It's very light, too.

FYI Bonanza

Just an FYI

Electric props are not all that new, or strange, in fact my friends 53 Bonanza has one. It has been easy for him to use and trouble free. It even has fewer AD's and problems than the hydraulic one.

But, of course to each his own. :)

They do start like a car

flydoc said:
Okay, I will show my ignorance with those thingys that turn the propeller, but why is it that Lycoming engines can't start like a car? (Like the Subaru)

Thanks,
Mark

...a car built in the 1940s with a low-energy ignition, a dirt-simple carburetor, and a weak undersized battery that hasn't been changed in several years.

Back