What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chapel Hill

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

The wife wants to visit a friend in Chapel Hill. I'd like to get a local perspective on where to fly in to and where to stay. KIGX looks logical, but google seems to indicate this airport is/was troubled. That may be old news.

Thanks!

You are correct in that Horace Williams has been in trouble for years. I was based there with my Ercoupe from 2001-2003, and was actually officially kicked out at one point (still have the certified letter from the UNC general counsel, which we all essentially ignored while the battle played out), as UNC has had eyes on that land for some time for a research campus (I think "Carolina North" or something like that), as they own the land and the airport. On the other hand the North Carolina AHEC ran several (4 or 5) Barons and a King Air shuttling medical staff to outreach clinics around the state that was really popular with the general population, so that provided a stay of execution...

Anyway, KIGX is very convenient to Chapel Hill, being only about a mile or so north of campus. Not much in the way of services, except gas, but as close as you can get!

I have very fond memories of being there, and if it is ever shut down (a la Meigs) it will be to Chapel Hill's loss!

If Chapel Hill is your destination, you can't beat KIGX!

Ryan in Madison, WI

Stopped in there last summer for gas and no problems. Overnighted at Lake Ridge (8NC8) and that runway is rough as a cobb. Don't take your 9A in there usless you just use the 1st 1/3 of runway 14. 32 will launch you way before you are ready to fly and you will come down on your nose......

Won't make that mistake again!

Chapel Hill is nice place to stop. Plus there is a very nice RV6 based there in the main hangar. But the airport can be a little hard to find by car. However it is on "Airport Road" which helps!

George

Chapel Hill's OK

I live about a mile from KIGX but don't keep my RV there 'cause there aren't any hangars. I have, however, tied down at Horace Williams a bunch and if you're coming to CH there's just no reason not to stop there. If there's not a game you can tie down on concrete (chains, no tail tie down - bring rope if you don't like chain) but if you get there on game day you may have to be in the grass, no biggie imho. They'll get you for $10/day tie down.
Less expensive gas is about 20 wsw at Siler City(5w8).
Horace Williams is rustic but you'll soon be proud to say you've been there. As soon as UNC finds the money to develop the property, it's gone. . .

We flew to Horace Williams last year and were treated well. There's at least one RV on the field (a -6 I think). It was 107 degrees F when we landed!

Thanks Everyone!

Planning the XC now. Stops to see family along the way in Indiana and Tennessee.

I flew into Horace Williams a couple years ago

I seem to recall that someone told me that it was located on top of some hazardous waste (nuclear I think) which was making developing it into something else much much harder.

I don't have any real knowledge of the facts, but I think that is what one of the locals told me.

Yes, that is very much true. There is a bunch of buried medical waste just north of the field back in those woods, enough so to almost warrant "Superfund" designation. Much of it from what I understand is chemical, but there may be some nuclear medicine waste as well...All from decades ago. Complicates the whole "Carolina North" idea.

I actually am surprised, being it almost 2010, that Horace Williams is alive and kicking. I would have bet money back in 2003 when I moved away that it would be gone by now. I'm very glad I'm wrong.

Ryan in Madison, WI

Horace Williams

I was the Airport Kid at Horace Williams in the 70's. The place was much better before the 3 monsterous (5000+ ft) sod runways were castrated with a single miniscule 3500 ft paved strip around 1971. This airport has been under duress both from the Lake Forest area off the end of 9 (too much money and too little sense) and also confusingly the University. I have never understood why the University did not wholeheartedly support the place. They have gradually stolen property for various building projects on the old inactive runways. In regards to waste, this is an old military training strip. The hospital was second fiddle. If there is waste now, it must be in the encroachment area. The original airport is on regular old NC red clay.

I stop there a couple of times a year to see my mom. As previously stated, fuel and tiedown are available and the staff is nice. You just don't see a bustle of energetic aviation there.

Back