What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Panel Rib relocation for EFIS installation

N941WR

Legacy Member
There are some very good EFIS displays out there just waiting to be installed.

On the tip-up instrument panel the F-745 rib is in the center of the left side of the panel so this rib needs to be moved to allow the installation of the EFIS screen.

My solution was basically the same as Dan's only I cut down the existing rib and modified two F745 ribs to fit on either side of the EFIS tray. (Hey, why not, they are cheep enough.)

The reason I installed two extra ribs is to limit panel vibration, which can cause instruments to fail and make them down right hard to read.

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the same boat planning a D100 install on a tip-up. Adding an extra rib is a good idea.

Dave

hmmm

I did not add the extra rib and nothing vibrates or moves on my panel.
I don't see the extra rib as necessary, in fact it just gets in the way
of other things you may want to add later as it take up space.

If you are concerned about vibration cut your panel out of .090
stock instead of vans .063, the extra mass will dampen vibrations better,
but then you are adding weight to the plane.

I left the left rib out completely (ahead of the sub-panel). The panel itself is .090 with a sub-frame from Affordable Panels.

A guy with a Super -7 has this setup and he has no problems. That's what inspired me.

Moved mine

I cut the rib at the sub-panel, moved it to the right, used some angle to rivet it to the center portion of the sub-panel, put another angle horizontally on the sub-panel for stiffening. Now my GRT EFIS will have its center directly on my own center. I was just imitating a RV-9A - see Thor LLC ad on the side.
h

Thanks everyone

It will be awhile before I'm at this stage so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile maybe MGL avionics will come up with a slick NAV/COM to go with the new slick COMM they just advertised!

Back