What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat an issue?

jchang10

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

Another quick question. While sanding or cutting the VS-1014 rear spar caps, i noticed that the piece could get quite hot from the friction heat. Is too much heat something people are careful of?

I read that some rivets are tempered with heat but am curious if any angles or skins would be sensitive to heat issues.

Jae

Use a sharp blade

Use a sharp band saw blade and you won't generate a significant amount of heat. FWIW, I cut RV-10 VS spar caps on a band saw and they didn't heat up appreciably.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Ouch, don't remind me

Dan... i will succumb eventually and get that band saw - hopefully, when it's on sale some day!

HOWEVER, are you building a -10?!

Jae

Not for me

I started building a -10 last summer. Not for me, but to sell. I sold it in August.

)_( Dan

jchang10 said:
Another quick question. While sanding or cutting the VS-1014 rear spar caps, i noticed that the piece could get quite hot from the friction heat. Is too much heat something people are careful of?

I read that some rivets are tempered with heat but am curious if any angles or skins would be sensitive to heat issues.

Jae

Out of curiousity, are normal AN426AD-type rivets heat tempered? If so, does that make it not a good idea to slightly grind off with the scotchbrite wheel a little bit of the shank if it is slightly too long? I know a rivet cutter is probably the most common thing to use for this case, but is there any problem to do it with the wheel? Thanks.

This got me wondering too, so I e-mailed Vans yesterday.

here's what I sent them

Someone asked a great question on one of the forums this morning. If you grind down your emp. spar caps (and any aluminum in general), do you run the risk of accidentally heating it up so much that you could mess up the temper on the aluminum.

Personally, I've been using my disc sander to do things like grinding down the taper on HS-714 and 710 in the RV-7 HS. For me it's fast and very precise, but the piece does get pretty hot. I wear some thin fabric work gloves I got from Lowes and that's enough to keep from burning myself. Am I screwing this up?

Thanks for answering yet another of my stupid questions.
-John Coloccia

their response:

You'd have to get it hotter than that. But in general terms, you'd be
better off sawing away the large parts ( a sharp hacksaw blade is
very fast in aluminum) and sanding the last little bit.

Back