What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

40 hour fly-off..

Pud

I'm New Here
Got a question guys, not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes....
When you complete your "fly-off" test period, what notation should be put in the aircraft log??
How would you word it??
Thanks for any responses!!:)
Pud

See Your Operating Limitations!

The exact wording is given there. By the way, Operating Limitations are required to be onboard for every flight and are actually part of your Airworthiness Certificate.

Thanks guys...

I'll have to check my operating limitations...
Appreciate the response!
Pud

Op Lim's

"By the way, Operating Limitations are required to be onboard for every flight and are actually part of your Airworthiness Certificate."

I'll admit it. I failed to noticed this important fact and have a letter in my file to prove it. :eek:

I flew into SAT to get my Repairman's Certificate and the FAA inspector asked me a question about my Op Lim's - which I couldn't answer because I didn't have them with me. He was nice enough to print a copy and hand it to me so I could fly home but he also reported me for not having my airworthiness certificate in the plane (I just had the "certificate" itself).

I won't make that mistake again.

Operating Limitations

I think many RV'ers just blow these off as a necessary evil for getting to fly their birds at last.

A while back, a friend who is third owner of a Pitts Model 12 was asking me some questions about night flying and lights. I referred him to his Operating Limitations which he had never read before. In them, I showed him that an FAA FSDO Inspector had issued them for NON-aerobatic operations. Man, was he chapped!

Fortunately, another FSDO inspector re-issued them.

If you buy an existing RV, be sure and read them closely. Some builders have no interest in acro and actually request non-aerobatic limitations.Many change engines or props and fail to follow the process required. Not only can you get in hot water with the FAA, your insurance may be void. Often, there are questions about night or IFR Ops. These are addressed in your Operating Limitations.

Paperwork, after all, is how bureaucrats measure life.

Because we all know it's the paperwork that makes a bird airworthy right??

In my case the previous owner was issued his AW cert but it had a 6 mos expiration date on it. I guess that's how they did it for a while in the early 90's. He was supposed to go the FSDO and show them his logbook entry after his 40 hours were flown off to be issued the permanent AW cert. He failed to do this and flew the airplane for another year with no valid AW cert and did not even know it. Sadly the airplane never flew again after he sold it. Fast forward 16 years to when I found it in a barn and rebuilt it. I had to reapply for EVERYTHING all over again. It was a lengthy and painful process getting it legal paperwork wise to fly again. Good discussion on some important paperwork that I think tends to get blown off. Remember the old acronym ARROW??? The O stands for Operating Limitations

If you ever loose your operating limitations you can order a new set (what ever was issued) from the FAA so you can carry them in your plane again. Two of the RV's I've bought and sold didn't have the OL in the planes or in the paperwork. Cost is $10 from the FAA. Takes about a week to get them.

If you ever loose your operating limitations you can order a new set (what ever was issued) from the FAA so you can carry them in your plane again. Two of the RV's I've bought and sold didn't have the OL in the planes or in the paperwork. Cost is $10 from the FAA. Takes about a week to get them.
If a DAR did the inspection, he should have a copy and can get them to you free.

This thread is exactly why, when I issue an airworthiness certificate, I read aloud, along with the applicant, the operating limitations in their entirety, and also point out the line ON the airworthiness certificate that states "Operating limitations dated xx/xx/xxxx are a part of this certificate."

If a DAR did the inspection, he should have a copy and can get them to you free.

This thread is exactly why, when I issue an airworthiness certificate, I read aloud, along with the applicant, the operating limitations in their entirety, and also point out the line ON the airworthiness certificate that states "Operating limitations dated xx/xx/xxxx are a part of this certificate."

And that, Mel, is another good reason to be involved on this forum. After I returned from Oshkosh on Friday (my first Phase II cross-country -- it seemed appropriate), I spied my operating limitations in the seat back and removed them. Put them in my desk drawer thinking, "Well, I don't need THESE papers anymore ..." :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think that there's just SO much new information being wrestled with when flying a new plane that the basics just get missed. I know that I've been fussing more with calibrating instruments and test flying than I have with FARs and paperwork.

Thanks for the reminder, all. Guess I'll sneak back to the hangar and slip those papers back into the seat back. Might even read through them again to see what else I've missed ... :D

Mel...

did my inspection and Yes, every word was read and gone over together and understood. I guess you get what you pay for, IMHO MEL is the best for the Central Texas area hands down!! Service with a BIG smile!

Back