What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Trio Pro Pilots with GPSS GPSV in testing yet?

bjeriksen

I am getting ready to install my new GRT HX and am looking forward to the full integration I'll get out of my Pro Pilot once the GPSS/GPSV option comes out. Are there any beta testers out there yet? Any updates on upgrade availability timeframe/cost?

--Bjorn Eriksen

I am getting ready to install my new GRT HX and am looking forward to the full integration I'll get out of my Pro Pilot once the GPSS/GPSV option comes out. Are there any beta testers out there yet? Any updates on upgrade availability timeframe/cost?

--Bjorn Eriksen

Yep we are out here and the GPSS is working very well. Actually its scarey how smooth it is. THe intercept and anticipation is dead on when on GPSS from the 430. I an currently working off 430 non-waas so I cant test the V function.

They are working right now on the GRT integration S & V functions. S function is stable but needs tweaking for compass heading functions. I have a rig hooked up on my plane to record what the trio is seeing from the GRT and that is what is required for debugging. I expect to have the vert code in the next few weeks for testing on the GRT. Then Ill have the piece Ive been waiting for for some time.

Best,

Thanks Kahuna, that's reassuring!

Am I correct in assuming I will eventually be able to command the Pro pilot with headings selected via the HX heading bug and altitudes with vertical speed or airspeed climbs/descents on the EFIS as well?

--Bjorn

Thats correct.
In my current beta tests, I can turn the heading knob on the grt, tell the grt to use the heading bug, and wallah, the Trio turns to follow the heading.
Right now its the wrong heading, but they know that and the code I have was built before they had the correct AIRINC labels from GRT. Mine follows wierd numbers. But if I turn heading left, it goes left. Just a bug that they know of and are fixing.
Other items are in progress.
Last I spoke to em a week ago, they were fitting a local plane with equipment to testing the grt airinc interface. With this in place, they will make rapid progress based on my experience with them.
I too have been waiting for this functionality. My 2 HHX screens are my primary means of navigation and this is key to my Trio success going forward.

Pitch Servo

Kahuna,

I am installing the Pro Pilot to work with the GRT Sport in my RV4. The pitch servo is nothing like the design of TT or Dynon's servos and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to mount it. I know the -8 is slightly different around the bell crank area but curious how your pitch servo is mounted. Do you have any photos you could share?

Trio sent me pictures of someone's -4 install which used a large plate attached to the bulkhead but the bulkheads in my opinion are far from sturdy enough.

Thanks

Trio integration with AFS?

Also love to hear any reports of integration of the Trio Pro Pilot with the AFS EFIS. I'm planning the AFS (with ARINC module) and GNS430W. Love to hear how the AFS flight director works with the Trio.

PP & GRT Sport

Just started flying with my new combo of the Pro Pilot with GPSS & GPSV coupled to the GRT Sport with an internal GPS. The GPSV is still being worked on by Trio. The GPSS seems to be working ok. I am still testing it out and hope to have a good feel for how well it works after another week or so. I had the Trutrak DFII VSGV in my last plane coupled to the GRT Horizon and a GNS480 so I have something to compare the PP to.

On Trio + AFS + GRT + Garmin

I talked to Chuck at Trio about this recently. I also encouraged him to post about progress here on VAF, but they are pretty busy and prefer to spend customer facing time on the phone or in person.

Chuck says they are pretty satisfied with AFS integration now, including coupled LPV approaches; he says it is "almost ready" for release. They are just starting to work on integration with GRT, looking at early second quarter release there. And they are about to start on the Garmin G3X and hope to have that ready late second quarter or early third quarter.

Anyway, don't take the above as an official announcement by any means, but it may be useful info to consider in your avionics planning process...

--Paul

Back