What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000C and FF with a carb

Finley Atherton

Well Known Member
Been battling with big FF fluctuations on my VM1000C (not the VM1000). I have tried just about everything you could think of without success. Without going into details, I would just like to know if others with the VMC1000C and a carb have similar problems or if yours works OK with reasonably steady FF readings.

Fin 9A 0-320

Could be several things. If there is sharp bends in the lines going into the transducer, you will see some fluctuations. Failing engine driven pumps will make the fuel flow reading unstable as well.

Bad connections...

I had some similar issues with readings on a VM1000 unit and the culprit turned out to be the crappy little red spade connections for the sensors. And only the ones located in the engine compartment. One by one, each reading became flakey, fluctuating up and down. Enough of THAT! After about 50 hours I cut them all off and hard soldered and shrink wrapped each connection. Guess what... the problems disappeared for the thext 600+ hours! :eek:

It's my guess is that the corrosive gasses up there attack the metal in these connections. If you replace the connector (which I did at first), they work fine for a while and then return to the same failure mode. I couldn't find another sealed connector that would be suitable for the chore, so I chose to hard wire all of the connections. This has worked fine ever since the initial problem.

If it is only the FF fluctuations, check to see if you have about 6" of straight run hose into the transducer (no bends or curves). Any bends apparently throw a bit of turbulance into the flow which messes with the tubine wheel type transducers (Floscan) and shows up as fluctuations or inaccurate flow rates. There was no way to adjust the 'K' value with the earlier VM1000 units. I'm not sure about the VM1000C units though.

Just my experience with the issue...

Last edited:
The old 1000C's were sent out with the same red spade connectors. THe new ones have a Molex connector.
I'm not sure which unit the OP has but this could be a cause as well.

Note: Old VM1000C's had a Gold backing
New VM1000C's have a black backing

Thanks for the replies. I have tried every conceivable thing to solve these fluctuations. I am considering getting a separate stand alone FF gauge/transducer but before I do this I simply want to know if anyone out there has steady FF readings on the VM1000C with a carb. I suspect the FF system in the VM1000C may be better suited to an injected engine. My understanding is that some other FF systems have a different setting that can be selected if using a carb. Apparently this setting electronically smoothes out the fluctuations that occur with a carb. There is no such setting available on the VM1000C.
I have been trying to solve this for over two years. These are all the things I have tried without success.
I originally had the older VM1000C and replaced it with the newer version which has the JPI innards, connecting wires and probes (included a new transducer). No improvement with the swap so I assume there is nothing wrong with the monitor/transducer.
I have installed the transducer as per the instructions between the carb and mechanical pump with the required straight runs before and after the transducer. I have also installed it between the gascolator and mechanical pump, between the gascolator and boost pump and between the tank selector and boost pump.
I have tried the optional pulsation dampener.
I have had a new brass float and needle installed by a licensed aircraft workshop as per the float SB so the float is correctly installed and adjusted.
One thing I do know is that the FF fluctuations are caused by changing G force and I therefore suspect that the fluctuations are real changes in FF and the monitor is faithfully reporting them. If you have read this far and are still interested in further details and the thoughts of others, see;
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32144
To reiterate, even if you can't suggest a solution, I just want to know if anyone out there has steady FF readings on their VM1000C with a carb.
Thanks,

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Back