What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training for the RV-3

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Good morning everyone! In my quest for a -3, there have been several obstacles. Avemco, who insured my yankee, does not offer full coverage for the -3. A forum member has contacted me and can provide insurance. Next came the flight requirements. I did the tailwheel endorsement back in 2000.... It took about 2.5 hrs. I don't have a ton of tailwheel time recently so I had to get 5 hrs of dual in any tailwheel RV per the insurance company. Many thanks to the suggestions I've recieved. Jan has been great as my transition trainer. He is super relaxed and very knowledgable. I now need to find a second vehicle as I'm using the -3 to go from south Fla to Atlanta. 3 hrs is better than a 10 hr drive (each way). I'm picking up the logbooks today for the prebuy. The next obstacle is to find out how to be a beta tester for the G3X.. Anybody?...... End of part one....

Part deaux...

Thanks Ty, soon.... Velly velly soon grasshoppa...
Today was the final part of the transition training in the -6 for the -3. Jan Bussel has been absolutly fantastic with the transition. I recommend him highly. Jan has really put me through my paces in his airplane. I now feel comfortable in the RV-6. On to the -3! The tricky part of doing wheel landings is knowing when and how much forward pressure to put on the stick. Jan says the two fly pretty close to each other except that the -3 is lighter and is quicker on the movement. He has transitioned several people for the -3 and everybody so far seems to be doing well. One of the tricky items to learn is the amount of forward stick force needed to keep the aircraft on the ground without getting into a crow hop. Also... with an intersecting runway... and the lip that Murphy always puts there... you have to think ahead. The airspeed really seems to effect the glide and of course.... you have to plan your energy use way ahead of time. It was quite easy to fly a space shuttle style approach and come screaming down with full flaps and the nose in the air. It sinks like a rock when you do that. The pedals were so sensitive. Much more so than the Yankee. I've got to admit, the yankee was a fantastic transition aircraft to an RV... diff braking, control crispness, etc.

Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
Brian,

I was on my way to an antique tractor pull in Dothan, Alabama when I talked to your voice mail the other day. You haven't been back through my mind again until right now. I'm so sorry for letting you down by not calling you back. Hopefully there was nothing earth shattering on your mind. Nevertheless, it appears that you have found the RV3 of your dreams......good for you!!!!!!!!! Please stop by 49FD on your way to or from Atlanta. Janice and I would love to see you and your new RV.

BTW, I took one first place, two second place and one third place trophies at the pull. Go big GREEN.

David Watson
850-875-5076

Nugget....

I guess the biggest item I took away from the training was to never let your guard down. It was not identical to the larger tail draggers I have flown. The Cub was not my favorite..... Only because it had heel brakes. The RV was the same as all the other -6's I've flown.... The nose was not too bad to see over on the ground. The S turns helped although I did not have to be aggressive. You can see in front of the aircraft quite nicely by looking down the side of the cowl through the windshield. I took off and glanced inside on one takeoff just for a split second, immediately I looked back outside and had to apply gentle aft elevator because I was descending again :(. So from now on, if it starts to crow hop on landing, I will go around again. I will never look inside again on takeoff even for a split second. I will know where everything is by feel. I will practice emergency procedures in the dark or wearing something over my eyes. I will sit in the cockpit of the -3 while a friend pulls the tail up to level so I can get a good sight picture. And above all, I won't stop flying it until it's parked.

<snip>I will sit in the cockpit of the -3 while a friend pulls the tail up to level so I can get a good sight picture.

Hey Brian,
I can play the part of "human hydraulic jack" anytime you need someone. Of course it'll cost you...you'll have to let me sit in it and make airplane noises... :D

Lift

Moose, you should be able to use one or two fingers to lift up the tail! I look forward to having you see it. Hurry up and get a rocket so I can outrun you! :)

Moose, you should be able to use one or two fingers to lift up the tail! I look forward to having you see it. Hurry up and get a rocket so I can outrun you! :)

Well, I've got getting two out of six winning Lottery numbers on one ticket down pat...just got to work on getting the other four... :rolleyes:

Good day...

It's a good day when the nice young banking lady calls and asks if it's ok to transfer the funds to pay for your airplane... Reality set in when I made my first payment (that's when it really sinks in). The airplane is pale yellow with blue and red trim. She had new fuel tanks installed right before I bought her and we are going to finish putting the wings on this weekend. She is IFR, and all steam gauge. The goal is not to put the cart before the horse, but the following is a list of what I would like to do. 1. Throttle quadrant from Dayton Murdock (DJM) via Acft spruce. 2. Dynon D10 and D10a 3. Mustang paint scheme 4. 496 under panel 5. Zaeon antenna for the 496 6. Catto prop instead of the AD prop 7. Smoke system? 8. Oxygen system. 9. Removal of some instruments that the Dynon replaces. 10. Removal of any extra items that are extra weight. It's gonna be a good day tater.....

It's about time

That you finally join the club!! Get that bird flying! I need someone to chase around the sky!:D

Mike

Jan= good

Hello Mike! Jan was an excellent transition trainer. He was always patient and never rushed anything. He was never bashful about telling you or showing you what the airplane was capable of doing. He built both aircraft that he trains people in. He is mechanically knowledgable and not afraid to point out the good and the bad. I recommend him for transition training for tailwheel and for the spam can drivers who are buying an RV. He will meet you at the local paved airport or at his grass strip. You do have to watch out for cranes(birds) at his place. Somebody at his airstrip likes to feed these birds and they seem to congregate at the back of one persons house. Jan is highly recommended from me!

The most important "sight picture"...

. I will sit in the cockpit of the -3 while a friend pulls the tail up to level so I can get a good sight picture. And above all, I won't stop flying it until it's parked.

........is the one you see when you're sitting on the end of the runway, ready for takeoff. Duplicate that during the flare and you're home free. The sight picture in flight will reveal itself as soon as you're able to hold altitude.

Blue skies 'n tailwinds,

Hey Brian...

Hey, congrats again on the new purchase!! Last time I was there working on the -3, there wasnt a whole lot left to do...should I put out a notam for this weekend...?:D

Hopefully I can get the new exhaust installed on the -4 within the next week because I got a feeling that all of us in ATL are gong to have to step up the patrols in the area :cool: Be sure to keep an ear out on 123.42 - you never know who'll pop up next to ya ;)

Notam approved

As soon as we finish this -3, I've got all the tools you need for the exhaust, let me know and I'll give you a hand. I've got a meeting early Sat morning, maybe a run to Spruce in the Grumman after that, then the rest of the weekend is dedicated to the -3. VooDoo 25 out.

Brian,

Are you ignoring me??????????????????? (See previous post.)

Janice and I want to see your new airplane. Please stop by some day and let us take a look. We'll meet you in Quincy if our strip isn't suitable. We sure am proud for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! You searched long enough.

David Watson

VooDoo 25.....

I like that Brian. I'm afraid we might have to make that the call sign ;)

I dont know if I'll be around this weekend or not to come help out with the -3. I'm in Bermuda right now, and I'm not sure when we're scheduled to make it back to the 'port. But if I'm around, count me in for wrench turnin' :D

Oh, the proper authorities have been notified - notam in effect from dawn till dusk on Sat. :cool:

Schedule

The wings are installed except for the root fairings. The cowl and top fairing are off but easily installed. One minor fuel leak was fixed. I should be there at 0915 hrs. Since she has not flown for 3 months (wing mod), the previous owner will fly her around. If I approve of the WX, I will then fly her... I'm trying to figure out how to tape it without securing an IPhone to my head (grin). Suggestions are welcome. Moral support is welcome. Feel free to tape my bounces....at least we will know I'm current for the next 10 years by the 3rd "landing". David.... I promise I'm not ignoring you, I'll stop by as soon as I get comfortable with this young lady. I still cannot believe you let me fly your BEAUTIFUL biplane. :). Mr Daniel, I look forward to seeing you at your soonest.... VooDoo was the name of my ARMY unit at Ft. Drum. It was our callsign. The Pancake breakfast is that morning as well at the EAA hanger. I'll buy you breakfast if you show up. Hope to see you all soon.

video idea

Brian,

I've got a mount that I attach to the inside of my canopy to the right and slightly behin my head. The angle provides a very good pilot perspective for review. I use it for the aerobatic stuff, so I think it would work for your application. Its adjustable, so it should hold the iphone just fine. Its over in my hangar, so as soon as I get home, I'll look you up and deliver it. IF I can't get back in time from saving the world, Mike Cardwell has a key still and can get you in. Last time I put it away, I put it in the bottom right drawer in the tool box.

I bet you're just dripping in excitment :D I remember being at the Dallas Love airport on a trip when the bank called to say they had transfered the funds for the -4. The next 4 hours waiting on the boss were the longest 4 hours of my life! If I could have pushed the throttles up any further on the way home I would have! Had the mach overspeed horn go off once or twice...:cool: Unfortunately, We got back after dark anyway, so I didn't get to fly it untill the next day. But that was the most fun 6 am departure I ever had!! Can't wait to see the silly grin on your face after the first RV flight in your airplane :D

Camera

Daniel, thank you very much for the camera idea. I'll see if there is some way I can suction mount the iPhone to my canopy. I've seen the flexable mounts for real cameras but nothing like that for my iPhone. Also I want to do audio.... I'll probably end up getting a dedicated camera for that. I'm going to try and do at least 2 hrs each day... And maybe I can scare up somebody to do some Air to Air photography. I'm bringing my camera gear... As far as excitement goes there is absolutly none... Move along people.... There is nothing to see here..... Wink Wink Nod Nod Hint Hint....
Best
Brian

Last edited:
Brian,
The mount that I have is a suction type. I found it at an electronics store. It was built to hold cellphones for use in the car, but with its padded sides and back, adjustable width, and flexible arm, it has worked perfectly holding my camera. Becasue it was designed for phone use, I'm sure it would work good for you until you can come up with a dedicated camera system....I'm thinking lipstick camera in the tail, cameras on each wing looking in, and one in the cockpit all tied into the audio.....but I just de-railed:rolleyes:

Anyway, the mount is yours to use if you want it - just let me know.

Theory

In theory, I could of flown her last weekend. The previous owner was tied up so I did not take her flying. I spent a fair amount of time in the cockpit and taxiing around. I will wait until the previous owner can spend some time with me at the aircraft. He has to do the test flight anyhow (new tanks). Maybe this weekend it will happen...

Brian,

I hope you get to fly it soon. Be careful and keep the dirty side down for a while. I can't wait to see it.

David Watson

Dang...

The No-Fly Fairy struck again. The airspeed was off more than the legal amount... So it's getting pulled as we speak... Maybe next weekend :(. On a good note, I did find the mount for the iPhone/camera for the canopy and an awesome little HD vid camera....

Daaaaaaaaang!!

My mind is still trying to wrap itself around the first two flights! It is stuuuuupid fast! I'll type some more when I get to a real computer... She was quite tame on landing and takeoff, fuel load was easily noticeable and correctable. WOW!!!

The day...

It was a 11am show. The previous owner and I sat down and went through all the paperwork. We calculated the new cg mins and max for it. After a quick lunch, the previous owner flew it once and we briefed. I strapped in and taxied to runway 7. I asked the tower to keep an eye on me as this was my first flight in this young lady. I lined up on the centerline and went through a last min relaxed check of everything. I figured since the fuel pump was on and the gear was "down and welded", everything would probably be ok if I forgot something. I pushed forward on the money handle and started to accelerate. The rudder was effective immediately. The -3 started a bit to the left and I was careful not to overcorrect. I'm guessing after 300 feet she wanted to come off the ground. I held her about 20 feet over the runway for another 500 feet and started a gentle climb. Not sure what my airspeed was but it felt good. At 200 feet it looked like I was at 120 kts. I departed to the north and the airspeed snapped up to 160 kts. Some basic feel manuevers were completed and I headed back in. 2 notches of flaps and 90 kts over the numbers provided lots of float. I touched..... Small bounce.... Small bounce.... Mmmmmm added a touch of power because I could feel the crow hop coming in. Another touch and I released back pressure and all was good. She had NO bad properties on rollout. BIG SMILE..... After paying for 8 gallons of fuel and another brief, I departed Lzu for WDR. One of my friends has a very nice mooney and I razzed him pretty good by announcing I had to slow way down for the mooney in the pattern, glad he is a good sport. :) (I did have to pull the gas WAY back). After some brief formation flight we landed and talked. I departed WDR and in 5 min I was back at LZU. What a time machine!!! I made a tail low wheel landing and taxied back to parking. I'm not sure what she climbed at because she was pegged at 2k. Time to install the Dynon.....
;)
Best
Brian

Last edited:
My mind is still trying to wrap itself around the first two flights! It is stuuuuupid fast! I'll type some more when I get to a real computer... She was quite tame on landing and takeoff, fuel load was easily noticeable and correctable. WOW!!!

Congrats, Voodoo! Wish I could have been there this time, but it was good talking to you beforehand. Treat her right, and don't do anything stupid!

Best,

Congratulations. I enjoy reading about your first flight in a -3. It's going to take me awhile to get my head around that future event.

Enjoy and stay safe!

It was a 11am show. The previous owner and I sat down and went through all the paperwork. We calculated the new cg mins and max for it. After a quick lunch, the previous owner flew it once and we briefed. I strapped in and taxied to runway 7. I asked the tower to keep an eye on me as this was my first flight in this young lady. I lined up on the centerline and went through a last min relaxed check of everything. I figured since the fuel pump was on and the gear was "down and welded", everything would probably be ok if I forgot something. I pushed forward on the money handle and started to accelerate. The rudder was effective immediately. The -3 started a bit to the left and I was careful not to overcorrect. I'm guessing after 300 feet she wanted to come off the ground. I held her about 20 feet over the runway for another 500 feet and started a gentle climb. Not sure what my airspeed was but it felt good. At 200 feet it looked like I was at 120 kts. I departed to the north and the airspeed snapped up to 160 kts. Some basic feel manuevers were completed and I headed back in. 2 notches of flaps and 90 kts over the numbers provided lots of float. I touched..... Small bounce.... Small bounce.... Mmmmmm added a touch of power because I could feel the crow hop coming in. Another touch and I released back pressure and all was good. She had NO bad properties on rollout. BIG SMILE..... After paying for 8 gallons of fuel and another brief, I departed Lzu for WDR. One of my friends has a very nice mooney and I razzed him pretty good by announcing I had to slow way down for the mooney in the pattern, glad he is a good sport. :) (I did have to pull the gas WAY back). After some brief formation flight we landed and talked. I departed WDR and in 5 min I was back at LZU. What a time machine!!! I made a tail low wheel landing and taxied back to parking. I'm not sure what she climbed at because she was pegged at 2k. Time to install the Dynon.....
;)
Best
Brian

Sent you a pm regarding speeds.

You will have no problem

Congratulations. I enjoy reading about your first flight in a -3. It's going to take me awhile to get my head around that future event.

Enjoy and stay safe!

Louise, if you can fly a -6, this will be no problem at all for you. The tail comes up quicker and the climb is UNREAL! I think I'm going to put a catto two blade because I'm running out of prop instead of engine.... Then I'm going to go embarass a rocket driver ;)

Brian,

I'm glad you finally got it in the air, plus I'm happy that you are pleased with it's performance. I hope to have a 3 one day myself. Be safe.

David Watson
49FD

Soooo... It's better than a Grumman?

Congrats, and have fun. Come see us over in Taylorsville, if you feel like you're ready for a 2000 ft grass strip. Look for the smoke that has a distinctive turkey smell on Wednesday!

Landing

I'm going to try landing with full flaps at 900 RPM based on some advice from a well respected -3 driver. I was too busy last time to check the rpm. Then it's a 3 directional speed run at 8k so Craig Catto can make me a prop. He claims I'll be able to gain some speed with the data I've told him.
Best
Brian

I'm going to try landing with full flaps at 900 RPM based on some advice from a well respected -3 driver.

Brian, I wouldn't bother considering your tach setting on final. Just set your ground idle as slow as practical and land fully power off. There's no reason to carry excess power in these planes on landing unless you are trying for a very short field landing using a slow approach. Everyone's stall/approach speeds are a little different, but I flew my RV-3 57-60kt (TAS) down final, power off, full flaps, and usually 3-pointed it. I think you'll learn that the slower you can safely fly down final, the better and more consistent your landings will be.

Have fun, you've got the one all the other RV designs try to live up to! :) I miss mine.

I'm going to try landing with full flaps at 900 RPM based on some advice from a well respected -3 driver. I was too busy last time to check the rpm. Then it's a 3 directional speed run at 8k so Craig Catto can make me a prop. He claims I'll be able to gain some speed with the data I've told him.
Best
Brian

Obviously, all planes are different, but when landing mine I had to add about 1/2" of throttle ( I did not know what RPM) until the engine just started to gain RPM (Maybe 1,000 RPM) and I could bring the nose down just a tad before the tail touched then the mains. (a split second later) Adding just a touch of power on flare was the key for my -3. I miss the ol gal. It takes practice and proficency to land the -3 perfectly every time, a little "bouncing" is normal. They are light and stiff legged. JMHO.

Keep us informed!

Last edited:
Speed run

A 3 way speed run gave me an avg of 198 mph groundspeed, 1324 egt, 8k and 2750 rpm. Landing into the sun was quite unpleasant. I've got video of two flights now from inside the cockpit, gotta figure out this YouTube thing.... Still getting used to the speed... Gotta think 2 states ahead...
Best
Brian

Last edited:
Congrats

We need pics of your 10 Pierre! The 6 kt crosswind landing yesterday was fairly tame. I'm still using quite a bit of runway, hesitant to get on the brakes, don't need a nose over. The Dynon went in yesterday. Lots of reading and calibration to do.
Best
Brian

Back