What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Clock Installation

MartinPred

Well Known Member
I've just purchased a flying RV-4 (had to own one and no time to build), and I'd like to install the Electronics International ASC-5A Super Clock/Altitude Alerter. It seems I need to fabricate a "T" cable to connect the clock to my KT-76a transponder and encoder.

Is there someone who sells such connectors? Or is there a place where I can get the supplies to fabricate my own. I'm tempted to go down to Radio Shack and make it work.

Any info appreciated,

-Matt J. Martin
402BD

Hi Martin,

What encoder do you have? If it's a standard ACK or something similar with normal DSub's you can buy the connectors, pins and wire in a number of places. We've done a bunch of those "y" cable splitters for superclocks, but to be honest it's not that difficult and for the price any of us shops will charge to do it you can buy all the "stuff" and you get the have the tools leftover to use on the next project! You're only looking at about 13 wires, 2 or 3 dsubs and a few dozen pins. Probably less than $60 in materials including a cheap indent crimper (unless you can beg/borrow/steal one) from a friend. AWG22 wire will suffice just fine. It's easier do the splitter cable on the encoder end (since you have a KT TXPDR with the square pins) if it has typical DSubs on it. If not, then just cut the encoder cable, crimp on some more Dsubs and insert your new pigtail.

Hope that helps!

Have a great weekend,
Stein.

Back