What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Construction References

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

Just begining the slider construction - looking for good references and webites to look at. I have the RVator articles. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
Rollbar mounted, rails cut, rear slide built, slider frame tweaking staring right at me.......

Well Pete,

Just grab hold of that frame and get rough with it. You push, prod, clamp, squeeze, bend, make it fit! You want it to fit the shape and curve of the front rollbar, and have the tails inside the fuselage longarons. There's no one perfect easy way to do it, you just have to work with it.

Slider frame

Pete, here is some advice:

1) the side bows must match the shape of the fuselage. I made cardboard templates of the fuse sides to simplify this.

2) the forward bow is pretty easy to get the right shape... really it's just the width thats important.

3) the aft bows are what will lead you to consider divorcing the airplane. With the side bows level, the aft bows must fit just below the extended line of the aft fuselage as described in the plans. It starts at about 1/16" at the top, and ends up about 3/16" at the points where the aft bows meet the side bows.

Now, heres the trick. If it's obvious the frame will not fit below the extension lines (while the sides are level) no amount of bending will make it. Get out your hacksaw and cut the aft bows shorter a little bit (1/4" at a time). Make some wooden plugs to push inside, and rejoin them temporarily and check the fit. Once you are happy with this, get them rewelded.

You'll have to repaint the frame (custom tinted marine enamel works good), but you'll save 100 hours of cursing and swearing.

5) Make a wooden frame (or just two pieces of wood) to hold the frame the right width while you check the fit. It's a lot easier than fussing with the tracks and rollers all the time.

6) The UMHW blocks that capture the canopy frame pins may not fit. I ended up moving them up about 1/4" before mounting.

7) Make the aft skirt from fiberglass.

I broke my canopy frame twice with all of the bending, so just figure out what you have to cut off and do it. A 1/4" slice off of each bow (total 1/2") can make a huge difference (approx 1/6") in the height of the aft bows), so calculate what you need, then cut about half of this (to be careful). Try the fit and do it again.

FMI: http://www3.telus.net/aviation/flying/RV-9A/photos/Fuselage/Canopy_photos.html

Good luck, Vern Little RV-9A

Yep - I concur, great site Vern.

Kevin, RV-7A - the @#$% canopy is the last thing I have to finish...

Back