What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CP214 shim help

Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
Hello All,

Im about to set my first rivet in my RV7A Emp.
I dont have a hand SQ , just the CP214. I have played with some scrap to set a few 470, 426 rivets.
I dont have an adjustable set, all I do is put shims in to adjust the gap.
My question is this , has anyone got a way to tell how many shims I need
for a given rivet lenght.

How do you do it ?

jamie

:confused:

Just bite the bullet

I tried the shim route. It works okay but after a while I got tired of changing shims and bought an adjustable holder from here:

Cleavland Tools

Ordered it one day and had it the next morning. After using it I believe it is worth every penny. It will definately save me enough time ot pay for it. Just bite the bullet, skip a few of your normal beverages and a meal or two and buy one. You'll be gald you did. IMHO :D

Jamie,

Take a few scrap pieces, and do several rivets.. trying different combos until you get it right. Write it down then! You can then figure out other rivets (at least get it close, and then add shims as needed)..

It's really not that bad..

Of course, you could alternatively get one of those adjustable sets :)

Hi Jamie,

Great to hear your project is underway. I used shims when I first got my pneumatic squeezer, and it took a bit of trial-and-error (erring on the side of too few shims of course!). You can't really measure it because the yoke flexes significantly on 1/8" rivets. Different yokes may even need different shims. Then I realized I could use the adjustable set from my hand squeezer. One of these would save you a lot of fiddling around throughout the project.

Conor
RV-9A 90990

Buy the adjustable set holder. With all the rivets you will be squeezing and dimples you will be forming, it will be a terrific time and agravation saver.

Roberta

I have an Avery adjustable set that I use in my hand squeezer, and a Clear Air Tools adjustable set that I use in my pneumatic squeezer. The Clear Air Tools one is a lot beefier than the Avery one, and it has a nylon friction thingy in it that keeps it set exactly where I left it. Count me as a satisfied customer. (of course, the Avery one in the hand squeezer is also great for that application)

http://clearairtools.com/Merchant2/...ode=CA&Product_Code=RSY-ASH&Category_Code=RSY

mcb

Thanx everyone, looks like the clearairtool is the way to go.
I've been ordering tools for the last 9 months, it seems that you never have all the tools you will need / want .. :)

Back