What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to find economical 540 engines

Aggie98

I am just now researching the possibility of building an RV. My choices are either the RV-7A or the RV-10 for a variety of reasons...but the biggest hang-up so far for the RV-10 is the cost and availability of the IO-540D4A5 engine. Anyone know of some sites for the 540? Or a way to acquire one for under $20K?

Aggie98 said:
I am just now researching the possibility of building an RV. My choices are either the RV-7A or the RV-10 for a variety of reasons...but the biggest hang-up so far for the RV-10 is the cost and availability of the IO-540D4A5 engine. Anyone know of some sites for the 540? Or a way to acquire one for under $20K?

The question is can you do your own re-build? If so a timed out engine could be the answer. Otherwise it gets tougher. Also since Vans has now created a demand for 540's get one now before it gets even tougher. Used 540's have been going up in price since the ten came out.
Bill Jepson

Io-540

Bill, is rebuilding an airplane (Lycomming) engine very different from a similar air cooled automotive engine such as a volkswagon or porche? And are there special licence requirements to perform the task and get the plane airworthiness certificate?

So what should a actually expect for a rebuilt or used 540? All the retailers I have found so far exceed my budget. I have seen some 540 cores through Trade-A-Place classifieds, but do not know how much an overhaul or rebuild kit would be for a used engine. Anyone with some expertise out there willing to give this newbie so real world estimates for the acquisition of a 540...new, used rebuilt, used overhauled? I am pretty mechanically inclined (general maintainence on auto engines), however, I never have even touched an aircraft engine.

I purchased an engine core and have had it overhauled and bought six new ECI cylinder assemblies for my RV-10 IO-540-C4B5 engine. I expect to have about $20,000.00 invested in my engine when complted but I will have basically a new engine as almost everything has been overhauled to new specs or replaced with all new five year guaranteed cylinder assemblies.

There are four basic processes to look at, in buying a core and rebuilding an Engine.

1. Locating a really good IA or A&P locally to work with you in getting an engine overhauled. If you fail here everything else is hopeless. You should be able to get someone to overhaul the engine for about $750.00 labor cost, depending on location. East or West coast is likely to be higher. Check with your local EAA tech counsler.

2. Obtain a core from a reputable company who will give you a WRITTEN guarantee that the crankshaft will overhaul to FAA minimiums. DO NOT let someone sell you an engine core that has been already broken down, as they might steal all the good parts and give you a box of worthless parts. Also make sure your IA or A&P is involved in determining if all of the core componants and accessorys are present. Ideally you want to buy a core removed from a flying airplane for a new engine replacement with a complete set of engine logs.

3. Breaking down the core and sending off the major components for overhaul. Major components include the Case, Crankshaft and counterweights, and Camshaft.

4. Replacing as required, or having overhauled, and/or inspected, and/or maga flexed, the minor components of the core.

FYI: The following is an almost completed list of my engine overhaul parts(part numbers not guaranteed correct as I depend on my IA):

RUSS DAVES? IO-540-C4B5 ENGINE PARTS

1 IO-540-C4B5 Crankcase, serial #948 - L6622 -48 Overhauled by Crankcase Services, Inc., Sand Springs, OK. Narrow Deck -48

1 IO-540-C4B5 Crankshaft M003- S143390-1 - Overhauled and returned to service via Yellow Tag (Ground Rods & Mains M003, Nitrating, Cad Plate and Baked, reassembled and installed counterweights, and returned to service in accordance with current FAA regulations) by Aircraft Specialities, Tulsa Oklahoma.

2 Lycoming Counterweights & Bushings Model 72801? S142528-3 & S143417-3 - Repaired and Inspected in accordance with current FAA regulations and approved for return to service by Aircraft Specialities, Tulsa Oklahoma, mounted on crankshaft.

1 Crankshaft Gear #AEL19647

1 Crankshaft Gear Bolt

1 IO-540-C4B5 Camshaft with Intergral Gears mounted #76148 (Governor/Drive Gear) - Reconditioned, Certified, and returned to service via Yellow Tag (Reground lobes to approved specifications and Magna fluxed by Aircraft Engine & Accessory Company, Inc.

6 Connecting Rods (New) purchased from ECI
#AEL11750 with bolts & nuts installed.

12 Lifters Model 72877 - Inspected Visually, Dimensionally, and by Magnetic Particle Method, Wear Faces were reground to FAA approved design Specifications by Aircraft Specialties Services, Tulsa Oklahoma

12 Hyd Units Model 78290 - Cleaned, Inspected and Overhauled in Acc. W/ Aircraft Specialties Procedure 99-001 by Aircraft Specialties Services, Tulsa Oklahoma

12 Hyd Unit Socket Ends Service and Inspected

1 IO-540-C4B5 Accessory Case ? Refurbished and Inspected

1 Sump - Refurbished and Inspected

6 Rocker Arms #74636 Reconditioned, certified, and returned to service via Yellow Tag by Aircraft Engine & Accessory Company, Inc.

6 Rocker Arms #69444 Reconditioned, certified, and returned to service via Yellow Tag by Aircraft Engine & Accessory Company, Inc.

6 Piston Pins Purchased New from ECI

1 Oil Pump Gear & Body #SL78528

1 Oil Pump Drive Shaft #74641 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Oil Pump Ball #SL1028-8 (new)

1 Fuel Pump Plunger #61544 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Bendix RSA 5AD1 Fuel Servo - Overhauled and yellow tagged by Southeast Fuel Systems, Inc. With upper and lower gaskets.

6 Fuel Injector Nozzles (New)

6 Fuel Injector Lines - Used, like new

6 Chrome Cylinder Head Covers New from ECI

6 Intake Pipes Inspected and Painted

6 Intake Pipe Clamps Inspected and Painted

12 Push Rods #73436 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

12 Push Rod Tubes Inspected and Painted

1 Accessory Drive Gear #71652 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Accessory Drive Gear #71668 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Vacuum Pump Drive Gear #72974 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Hydraulic Pump Drive Gear #72964 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

2 Gear Shafts #72246 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Governor Drive Shaft #70389 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Idler Gear (Governor) #70388 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Idler Gear Shaft (Governor) #70384 (Magna fluxed by Porterfield)

1 Tach Drive #76155

1 Sky Tech Starter returned to Sky Tech for Overhaul

1 Oil Dip Stick and Oil Dip Stick Tube

1 Hydraulic Pump Adapter

2 Slick Mags & 2 Mag Drives

1 Wiring Harness

4 Motor Mounts #70456

1 Starter Ring Flywheel

1 Vernitherms

1 Oil Pressure Relief Housing

1 Oil Pressure Regulator

1 Vacuum Pump Drive Adapter

24 Base Nuts

8 Inner Cylinder Baffles

6 Cylinders Assemblies purchased from ECI (Cermanil)

2 Main Front Bearings (New ECI #AEL13884M003)

12 Connecting Rod Bearings (New ECI #AEL13521M003)

6 Main Inner Bearings (New ECI #AEL11021M003)

1 Fuel Pump

1 Gasket Kit

Great engine prices...

As I have posted before, Schmidt Aviation in Ft. Lauderdale Fl. will build you an O540 for under 20K running, ready for prop!. Cylinders are rebuilt and has experimental data plate. 2K more for certified. PM me for further info if necissary.
Glen

540 pricing

I bought 2 O-540's off of a wrecked Piper Aztec for $17,500 with logs & accessories. I sold one for $10,000 It had a towing accident so the props weren't even turning when the tug smashed into the nose, I saw the airplane, so I know this is true. The engines only had 325 hrs smoh. The catch is they have been sitting for about 7 years. I have a neighbor who is an IA, I have an A&P lic. myself. He says we can rebuild, replacing or repairing as necessary for $3500-$5000. This will give me baically a new engine for about $12K. Granted, it won't be "0" timed, certified, or a reman. But it will be a good dependable, reliable engine. With this said, and I'm sure I'm going to get "beat up" BUT this is proof that you don't have to spend lots of money to have a good engine. My own opinion, who cares if it's certified, the aiplane isn't either.

Marshall Alexander
RV10
Wings-almost complete

One more Schmidt fact...

The guy Tom Schmidt I spoke earlier about, has rebuilt literally thousand of engine both certified and exp. He does tons of work for airboat guys down here. His engines include ovhld. carbs, new mags, plugs, wire harness, ovhld cylinders, 2 hrs test running, yellow tags , and the most incredible paint jobs I have seen on any engines. Compares to the quality and colors available on Performance Engines rebuilds.
Now, IMHO (an experienced and somewhat educated one), this is the only REALISTIC option for somebody who wants to have a no worry engine install with minimal expense and bother. I think that if you wanted NEW ECI cerminil cylinders (IMHO the only cylinder anybody should ever have on their plane), you could have a reman spec beautifull 0-540 for less than what Vans sells their 0-360 A1A engines for.

PS, I was also wondering what the heck would be wrong with going with the angled valve 540 (maybe there are cowling side space issues?) and getting the extra 40 HP for the RV10 that appears by all data I have seen ( my own eyes test flying and in these forums) to be the only Vans plane that does not meet or exceed the expected numbers?

PPS, Nobody has besides myself flown "the box" and published the numbers. On N331JH, I can only get 193.8 MPH TAS. All others that say we have built a slow plane say things like, i"it appears", "I think...", " I am sure..." when saying other 10?s meet the numbers.......Maybe this is for another forum....comments?
Glen

wirejock said:
Bill, is rebuilding an airplane (Lycomming) engine very different from a similar air cooled automotive engine such as a volkswagon or porche? And are there special licence requirements to perform the task and get the plane airworthiness certificate?
Larry,

Call up Mahlon @ Mattituck and order the rebuild DVD. That will give you an idea of how easy they are to rebuild. The answer is yes, about alike a VW or air cooled Porsche engine.

I decided to open my engine up after watching the DVD, had an IA friend look over my shoulder as I put it back together, and now it is as good as new.

The big deal is sending the parts out for inspection so you know what you have when you put it all back together again.

I rebuilt my 0-320 with the help of two experienced friend - one IA one A&P.

After adding up all of the bills (yellow tags, new parts, gaskets, bearings, core purchase price, etc.) I didn't save any money compared to buying an engine from Don George, Bart Lalonde, or any of the other reputable rebuild shops that cater to the experimental crowd.

After the rebuild experience, I feel good about having rebuilt my own engine. I know exactly what components are in there and that no corners were cut.

On the other hand, it was a lot of effort to locate all of the right shops to do the work, coordinate that work, order all of the necessary parts for the rebuild, etc., especially since I didn't save any money.

If I was going to do it again, I'd probably hire it done and save 50 man hours of disassembly, cleaning, packing, shipping, bill paying, inventorying, and reassembling.

Found a reference to available IO-540s

I found the following URL to several engines at Wentworth in Florida.

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/engines.htm

Wouldn't the engine mounts support any "540" engine (O-540, IO-540, etc) or is there a specific version that is expected? What is special about the exact model you mentioned?

I guess I'd rather spend $13.5K on a 400hr SMOH than $32K if it'll all work right.

Doug.

Tom Schmidt Aviation phone number...

Ok, finally got the number to Schmidt aviation from Jim (N331JH, RV10)...The number is...954-928-1619..... I would appreciate yuz guys mentioning my friend's name, Jim headberg, since he was the first one to buy an engine for the 10 from Tom Schmidt, and if we can get enough RV'rs to buy from him we might be able to get some even better pricing, even lower than his awsome prices...!
A couple of things I forgot to mention previously, on his engines, he makes a custom, kick ass CNC'd oil filler tube and dip stick that he sells seperately if you choose to not buy his engine, and he has his own data plates designating the custom build, similar to Performance Engines.
One parting question I have for Aggie98, purely rhetorical and only asked to make all do some thinking....Why buy a 400 hour engine with unknown history, when you can get a reman/or 0 time engine with warrany for less than 20K?, More than 4K less than Vans 180 HP engine? We also have a great prop shop in S. Fl. that can get great deals on ovhld props. Personally, I would get a schmidt engine and put the money saved into a new Hartzell made just for the 10, but this is just INMHO.
PS, still waiting rather impatiently for others with 10's to fly the box per my previous forums to give us all some other "real" 10 data.
Glen

The hunt begins

Aggie98 said:
Haaa yes the allusive hunt for a good cheap mid time Lycoming. Cheap and Lycoming in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but I know what you want. If you are patient and get lucky.......right place right time factor comes into play. Most gave you practical how to pre inspect but how do you find it.

My advice is get the Trade a plane subscription. I would recommend the fast delivery subscription but I guess it is all on line now. You can scan all the usual suspects (aircraft salvage yards) that sell used engines. Call them daily, weekly.

DO you have the $13.5k to drop on tomorrow if one become available?

DO you need the engine now or 3 years from now?

Good luck. You already got some good advice, but bottom line you are going to have to put out the feelers and time into the hunt; it ain't going to fall into your lap.

I would say last, you get what you pay for. With the popularity of the RV-10, Harmon Rocket/F-1 and Bearhawk, all using the straight valve 540's the price has gone up. There are a lots of people looking and the saying the same thing, I would like to pay $13.5 rather than $32K for a nice slightly used 540, only driven on Sundays by a little old lady pilot. You got to look.

One scam I dreamed of, never executed but it has been done, is find the model of planes that have a suitable engine or engines (twins like Aztec) and find a used / salvage / auction and buy one. You than part out the airframe, spare engine and prop, which will be a lot of work, but it also may result in a cheap engine for your project. No free lunch. Sweat equity.

I remember when the Rocket came out late 80's. At the time there where few homebuilts using the straight 540 and you could barley give them away and where cheaper than a 4 banger, not any more. :(

Last edited:
0540s once again..

I know I keep pushing Tom Schmidt, but I am an anal builder and Tom is a really good S--- that knows his stuff. To add to GMC?s comment about availability of engine cores...Apparently Tom has a source in the Bahamas from older planes, crashed, rusted out, old Trilanders...And he last I heard had many cores. Yep, they are getting rarer, but he has them..
Come on guys, for the price of an Efis 1, a beautiful motor can be had... Shop around and share with us all...
Glen

IO-540 For Sale

01-10-06 I have an IO-540 C4B5 for sale 1763hrs since rebuild by Lycoming. I was going to rebuild it until my friend sold me his engine with only 380hrs. So now I have two. It was bought from Premium Aircraft. I payed $9000.00 and thats what I'm asking. Engine in Calif. A rebuild is going to cost you anywhere from $14,000 to $22,000 depending on who you take it too with your own core. Thanks,MIKE (805)934-3635 work

I am going to give mr Schmidt a call, I wonder if he can build me a 0360 a1a for under 20 grand. I don't have a core and honestly engines are my weak spot as for as airplanes go. I don't have enough experience to be able to find a used engine without getting ripped off. I just know that someone would talk me into a real piece of overpriced junk. I don't have any local contacts.

Bird

Back