What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight of my RV-7A

I flew my RV7A for the first Monday the 24 of Jan. I now have 15hrs on this fantastic airplane. Every thing went well except for a slight heavy left wing and I'm a little more then a half ball out. The heavy wing may be due to my heavy back-side (240lbs). I will be flying most of the time by myself, so I would like to correct it with out using the manual aieloron trim.
As for the rudder trim, I added all the ferrings and wheel pants hoping that would help the trim and not require a tab. I saw no difference in the ball, It was still out about the same. Adding a wedge 6" long, 1.5" wide,and .25" at the trailing edge of the rudder brought the ball in, but I don't like the idia of using that large a tab. With the 7s rudder offset, I'm surprised how moch trim was need. Does anyons else have there prblems with there 7?

Congratulations !!!! Awesome feeling, isn't it ?

I first flew my -8 in November, and I have the same heavy left wing, and the same half ball of rudder. I'm not going to bother with putting a tab on the ailerons, as I don't even notice it in flight. I will, however, put a tab on. I've seen lots and lots of RVs with a 6" long rudder trim tab. Once it is glassed in and painted, you don't notice it. If you are already painted, however, that might be another story. You might try rudder pedal springs.

Cheers

Try some 3M tape

On your rudder trim tab simply paint the trim tab and then apply it with 3M tape. I done that on my aileron tab and it sticks very well. A buddy of mine has his trim tabs on that way and they have stayed there for over 600 hours no problem. That away no holes to drill in your newly painted airplane and not riveting to do.

Back