What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

suitable airfield

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
I'm planning my first flight, my field, just minutes from my home shop, it's a runway paved @ 600 ft altitude 3600 ft long.

my_field.jpg

My Rv8 have a Lyc O/360 with 180hp - Catto three blade fp propeller

Obviously I know that there are tons of variable but, in your opinion and experience, what do you think about ?

Here is a data point, close in length & altitude, not sure about temperature:

Spicewood (88R), Texas - 800' elevation, 4100' runways, supported first flight and testing for at least a couple of RV-8s with similar engine & prop, more in progress.

Mike

thanks, it's a nice place to live (mountains, lakes, no fog)

here's my shop

46? 0'35.76"N
11? 7'47.58"E

like to visit ? call me of you're in northern Italy for vacation

Are those garden plots around the airfield? They are sure crazy shaped!

Have fun on the flight, I wish I was at that stage!!!

Only 837 meters (0.52 miles) from the Field!

Without being on an airpark, you live even closer to your airstrip than I am to mine (I am 1.1 sm).

One of the items near the top of my "bucket list" is a visit to Italy. If I ever get there I will surely look you up.

We would love to have you and your family stay at our house if you visit Washington State in the US.

My younger brother owns several houses in Arbecey, France, about 75 miles due west of Bern, Switzerland. The only time I have ever been off the North American continent was when I visited him 9 years ago. I had a very bad reaction physically to traveling that distance in coach class. After that experience, the expense of traveling first class in order to have enough leg room has been the limiting factor in overseas travel.

Larry

3600 ft length at 600 ft altitude is more enough for your flight testing, assuming you have some minimal level of proficiency. It looks like you probably have many suitable forced landing sites off the ends of the runways, which makes it even better.

Luca,

No problem at all. The runway looks good and you have lots of places to go, should the unexpected happen.

Much better than the 2300 x 30 foot runway Radomir and I used for our first flights.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Looks like a great test area lots of farm land around! Is that a grass strip next to the paved one?

I checked this place out on my FSX... this is a beautiful area.
with the mountains all around, you definitely must have your plan B and plan C before take off.

Back