What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The value of a good exernal antenna

What did your track look like prior to changing antennas? Are you getting more position reports down low?

The old tracks look pretty good to me.
What do you think is different. Any comparrison flights?

I sure do miss the data points numbers they used to show. Was easy to see during the drop down selection that a high number of points probably meant a busy day of flying. But now you dont know if it was a busy day, or if the unit just fired up for one packet.

The old tracks look pretty good to me.
What do you think is different. Any comparrison flights?

I sure do miss the data points numbers they used to show. Was easy to see during the drop down selection that a high number of points probably meant a busy day of flying. But now you dont know if it was a busy day, or if the unit just fired up for one packet.

Mike, are you referring to the raw packet data? I think it is only archived for a couple of days.

Richard, I don't recall how your old setup was tracking, but the current tracker is doing a fine job!

No, from the APRS blog,
"During the weekend I replaced the date browsing menu with a new AJAX-based one. The downside is that the new one doesn't tell you how many positions were received during a year, month or day. The upside is that it's much, much faster than the old one. The old one was generated completely when you looked up a station on the map, which in turn required scanning the whole position history of the station, which caused a lot of disk IO, which filled up the caches"

I liked being able to drop down the dates and see the numbers of position reports. Was easy to tell which days were trips, and which ones were goofing off.
Like in this case, I wanted to look at his previous days, pick one with lots of data points, and review his trip for comparison.

Sorry for the confusion...

I don't recall exactly when I switched antennas but it was a few month ago. However , this was the first long flight I made with the external antenna. The dipole was not as consistent and I would not get a hit under 600 ft agl.

As you can see from my last track I got a hit on the ground at a pvt airport west of Red Bluff. The alt of the airport is 540 ft. msl.

The external antenna I am using for the APRS is a cheepo steel antenna from Wag Aero.

Hello,

I saw your posting and your APRS track. Looks like APRS is working well for you. I'm currently building an RV-7A over at Aurora and saw that you are nearby, possibly based at Twin Oaks. I'm also a ham, W7TDC. I've been meaning to make a post on VAF looking for someone with a RV-7A locally to go ride with for some experience. I'm an active pilot and flight instructor at Aurora. I'm curious if you would be interested if I buy gas?

Thanks,
Trevor

Numbers of Position Reports

I liked being able to drop down the dates and see the numbers of position reports. Was easy to tell which days were trips, and which ones were goofing off.

You can use this link: http://mail2600.com/cgi-bin/alltracks.cgi?call=N687MS&days=60 This is arbitrarily set to the last 60 days but can be increased.

It's also available from your "Position" link (http://mail2600.com/cgi-bin/position.cgi?call=n687ms) by clicking the "All Tracks" button or from your "UI" link (http://mail2600.com/cgi-bin/ui.cgi?call=N687MS) as item 4.

Back