What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly fishing

mikegraycmg

Well Known Member
Anybody know of a good, easy, simple destination to fly into New Mexico to do some fly fishing? I'm something of a novice, but it seems to me that if you could fly in, camp, fish & fly out, that would be ideal. Whenever I've done it, I have had fly, get a hotel, get a rental car and guide, and I'd go out there more often if I could avoid some of the hassle and expense.

Wish

I Wish,,,! there were more fly in camp sights in our neighborhood. ie Texas, New Mexico...Colorado, Arkansas....

A Cabelos fishing sales person suggested I look into Navaho State Park in New Mexixo, it has an airport nearby. I haven't been there but it looks promising.

Let me know if you get out there.

Fort Smith

Not in New Mexico, but if you want some fishing next to the airport, try Fort Smith, Montana on the Bighorn River. You can camp next to your plane and if you sleepwalk you might stumble into the best trout river in eastern Montana.

Fly Fishing NM

Mike: Spoke with a friend at church this morning, a serious fly fisherman who knows the area well. Explained your goal of finding a fishing place good for a novice and accessable by air. He did not know of such a place. I looked at the map as well and nothing seemed to fit your critera.

However, my friend did recommended two places that met the fishing side of your search.

1. The upper San Antonio River, in the upper Jemez Mountains area, just west of the Valles Caldera. Huge open high meadow fishing in jaw dropping beauty.

2. The San Juan River just below Navajo Dam near Farmington, NM.

I'll PM you with some more detail.

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV-7 590SC (res), finish kit

Mike, you might look into Taos. We flew into there a couple years ago and rented a jeep and did some fishing. I went with a friend that was alot more familiar with the area than myself so can't give you any tips on streams or lakes.
Gunnison would be another spot worth looking into. I need a 'good' friend to keep a jeep there that I could use.

steve

Thanks

Thanks, guys. I'll look into these possibilities. Montana's a long way off, but the others are possible.

Mike the San Jaun River is supposed to be great and closer to Santa Fe, to east you'll find the Pecos river, and Toas as mentioned earlier. Some areas are catch and release, but not sure which is which. Sorry - I just haven't gotten into the fly fishing!

Try to google fly sighing new mexico...one of the links I found was http://www.nmosg.com/Fly/index.php

Bob

Back