What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avia props

litewings

Does anyone have any experience with the Avia constant speed prop? I have a 150 hp RV6 and a short strip. Checking my options before the summers heat arrives

Avia Prop

I bought an Avia V 503AP 75" automatic variable speed prop for my RV-6A. It was a wonderful improvement over the wood fixed pitch prop. Doug Reeves was kind enough to post one of my travel stories

http://www.vansairforce.net/rv_travel/NorthByNorthwest/NorthByNorthwest.htm

Performance with the Avia and my 150HP O-320 Lycoming was very good. Takeoff roll at sea level gross weight was about 700-800 feet, with a rate of climb of 1100-1300 fpm. I could climb out at 2550 RPM all the way to 13000 feet which was great compared to the climb rpm of only about 2100 on the wood prop. The wood prop would give me about 2500 rpm in cruise but I could only really get about 8000 feet before my climb ability went way down.

On landing I could chop the power and the prop would act like a speed brake giving me really short field capability. After conversion to the AVIA I would regularly fly in and out of a 1600 foot grass strip, at gross weight, with 80 foot trees at one end and power lines at the other. With the wood prop I would even consider such strip.

The AVIA V503 AP is a great prop for the O-320 which does not have a hollow crankshaft and you can't install a hydraulic constant speed prop. For anyone with the ability to install a hydraulic constant speed prop, the AVIA V503 AP would not be the best choich, in my opinion.

If you want to see a picture of the AVIA prop installed on N65RV e-mail me and I will send you an inflight picture. It is pretty cool with the fins on the spinner. In addition it is a real attention getter on the ramp. Everybody wants to know what kind of prop is that.

Avia Prop

Russell's 6A was the first one I flew when I started shopping for a completed RV. I can attest to the ease of climbing high using the Avia prop on an O320. We were loaded pretty good and had no problem climbing to 12,500msl. It takes a little longer for the Avia to kick in on takeoff than a Hartzell but it performs much better than a fixed pitch on takeoff.
One thing that alarmed me was the suggested TBO on the Avia. The last time I read the specs on their website it was much lower than a constant speed, but, if you have a solid crank engine, it's the best you can get to improve the performance.

AVIA Prop

Mike:

Thanks for the comments. I still miss N65RV. The suggest TBO on the AVIA was 1000 hours but I think that was because it was such a new prop and because it had an FAA STC for the C-172.

My RV-10 finnishing kit came yesterday, QB fuselage two weeks ago. Wish I had everything finished through the finnishing kit and was ready for it, but no such luck. Hope to fly my RV-10 late this year.

Russ Daves

Back