PDA

View Full Version : TruTrak ADI Pilot II ... awesome.

N8RV
09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
In a word, AWESOME.

I've never flown with an autopilot before. So, when I started building Smokey, I hadn't considered installing one. Besides, they were really expensive back then, and the choices were few.

Fast forward to a few years ago when Navaid came out with their unit. I was more impressed with the unit than with the sales people at Oshkosh, so I bought one. I installed the servos and ... well ...

... by the time I was ready to do the panel, it was already obsolete. TruTrak came on the scene with several models, one of which -- the ADI Pilot II -- was perfect for my plane. So, I bought it, removed the Navaid servos and installed the ADI Pilot II servos. Fortunately, I finished the plane before it, too, became obsolete!

Installation was straightforward. Even I didn't screw it up, and I knew NOTHING about electronics or autopilots. Of course, Stein had a hand in it by installing the head unit in the panel and making the wire bundles ...

I can't imagine how frustrating Phase I testing would be without having an autopilot! With it, I can set altitude hold and concentrate on checking the EFIS and EMS readouts and glance outside at regular intervals for traffic. I can set a heading and just sit back and let the AP fly the plane as I go nowhere fast, just breaking-in the engine.

And, while I haven't gotten myself lost yet, it's comforting to know that if I did, all I have to do is plug in an airport ID and the AP will fly directly to it. I know, old hat to some of you, but pretty exciting for me!

Kudos to TruTrak for providing an excellent autopilot to the experimental community!

Geico266
09-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Kudos to TruTrak for providing an excellent autopilot to the experimental community!

Their customer service is second to none also. If you ever have a problem or question, they are good to have in your corner.