What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting

zsadecki

Is there a trick to fluting? I had my first try at it on the HS ribs, and it didn't seem so great. A couple ribs were not flat and kinda twisted, and fluting is supposed to fix that, right? I fluted a little, and a little more and they didn't seem to change much. I bent and twisted and played around with the seamer to flatten them back out a little and bend the flange perpendicular to the web. I eventually got them pretty good, but it never really figured out how I got them there...

Yup, That's how you do it. It gets easier after a while so "don't worry, be happy" It seems you have to go back and forth between the fluters and the seamers a couple of rounds... Does that make us Flotists, or seamstresses?
Cheers, Pete

Here's what worked for me:
Clamp some angle stock (steel or alum. about 2ft) to the edge of your table. Hold a flange up to the angle stock to see where it bows and where you need some flutes. It's easy because you are looking down. If you are selective about where you flute and how much pressure to use then it goes very quickly. Do this for each flange. The goal is to get the flange straight for a good rivet line, not to have the rib lay perfectly flat. You can always give a slight twist to the rib if needed in assembly.
Bruce

fluting

The main idea behind fluting is to get the rivet holes in a flange arranged in a straight line. If the web happens to lie flat against the bench top after fluting, that's good. Some parts, like wing nose ribs, will "oil can" or pop into position if you twist them. Again, as long as the rivet holes line up things are OK. I hold the part lightly against the work surface and flute from the mid point along the flange outwards. You'll be able to accurately gage your progress as the arch in the part flattens out against the work surface.

Steve

fluting

I have built two standard built RVs, a 6A and a7A which does not make me an expert at anything but I have fluted a lot of ribs. What works for me is to lay the rib down flat on the table. Set down in a chair so that your eyes are at table level. Start at one end and flute across. go lightly the first time and if not enough go across again and watch it flop down on the table nice and flat. Starting at one end was the secret for me. With a little practice it gets to be fun. ( use the light you see between rib and table as your guide)

(Casper Two) RV7A N70723
Doyle Reed

Back