What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Fairing Fit

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm stumped and am curious if others ran into the same problem.

I just finished my first trial fit of the wings. Sweep and
incidence is spot on. After a gazillion interations of trim,
remove, install and trim again my right flap fits nicely and tucks
under the fuselage.

My problem is trying to fit the *%$&&!@!! aft flap fairing (F-
872C). I can line up the topside with the flap, however, there is
no way I can get the bottom side to fit under the fuselage.

It's a gross misfit, not even close to the plans or the pictures on
Randy's site. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

What did everyone else experience? Do I need to take a pair snips
to it?

Thanks in advance for any tips, comments or moral support.

Happy New Year.

Mike Draper
Finish

#@!$^ flap fairing

Oh yes, those things are a riot. :mad: I also nailed the sweep and incidence settings spot on but the flap fairings were not even close in how they fit up under the belly of the fuse. I was able to massage them sufficiently to fit up OK, and the plane flies straight and ball centered. There are some significant effects from compound curves where a small adjustment in one plane, radically changes fitment in the other...planes of your...plane. :eek:

These are largely just cosmetic so if they look OK from the top, then the bottom ain't no big deal. I know that at this stage you don't want to accept less than perfect but unless you want to scratchbuild new ones, they should work. Oh, and I had to use some pop rivets for attachment as bucking bar access just didn't work for me that day.

Press on.

Brian Denk
RV8 N94BD

Flap fairings

Don't be discouraged. I too had the same problem and needed to bend and cut the fairings to fit. Make sure your trailing edge lines up and use this as your guage. Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

Those rear fairings were the worst fit of any part in my kit. I'm glad they are on.

I was able to get a nice fit on the fairings by massaging them a bit AND by trimming off ~ 1/4 inch of the fairing that is under the fuselage similar to photos on Mickey's site.

-Mike Draper
N468RV (reserved)

Back